Options

Turtles

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited May 27, 2014 in Wildlife
Recently, I got to paddle a spring-fed river in central FL (Wekiva Springs). This place is teeming with LIFE and it was a pleasure to have such fabulous critter models. I put together a collection of my favorite turtle shots from the trip. The entire trip album can be seen here: http://jonabethrussell.smugmug.com/2014-05-18

I'll tell ya', swingin' a 75-300 w/o IS, while floating down a river in a kayak is not the easiest macro work I've done! Whew!!

Critiques and comments are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for viewing!

IMG_4627-L.jpg

IMG_4586-L.jpg

IMG_4640-L.jpg

IMG_4589-L.jpg

And for a bonus....#5........

I EEET URR FAYCE!!!!!

IMG_4774-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Very nice. I'm just not willing to bring my gear on a kayak, small boat maybe.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Hunter58 wrote: »
    Very nice. I'm just not willing to bring my gear on a kayak, small boat maybe.

Thanks!

I used to worry about the gear, then I was a whitewater river guide. lol I learned about all manner of ways to keep valuable gear stored dry and impact safe. I only open the box in fairly calm water (little wind and some small waves are not a problem, but whitewater is a no-no).

The box I use is a Pelican case. I've absolutely wiped out a raft of 9 people in a class V rapid, having the Pelican cases in the boat take a beating. All the gear inside stayed dry and undamaged! I, on the other hand, took an arse whoopin' in the river...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Thanks!

I used to worry about the gear, then I was a whitewater river guide. lol I learned about all manner of ways to keep valuable gear stored dry and impact safe. I only open the box in fairly calm water (little wind and some small waves are not a problem, but whitewater is a no-no).

The box I use is a Pelican case. I've absolutely wiped out a raft of 9 people in a class V rapid, having the Pelican cases in the boat take a beating. All the gear inside stayed dry and undamaged! I, on the other hand, took an arse whoopin' in the river...rolleyes1.gif

I used to have a Pelican case but it was too big for a Kayak. They are great cases.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Love the last shot! i Kayak with gear and normally I am only worried about the gear......but based on the last shot, I think gear would not be my biggest concern!! Under the circumstance and degree of difficult - Bravo!thumb.gif
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2014
    Using a small craft of some sort in target rich situations generally strikes me as an approach well worth checking out - but I'd be looking for a way to get the gear as close to water level as possible in a way that made it convenient and safe to use.

As such, I suspect that mods I've pondered over - eg low level platforms either side + (detachable?) outriggers - would compromise the craft's performance to such a degree that it asks a big question of the individual re prioritising the photographic aspects of any trip over boat handling?

Whilst I'm aware of various types of floating hides etc ... I wonder if anyone's modified such a craft (as canoe / kayak etc) in this way ... or built a special purpose one?

pp
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2014
    Outriggers would likely be a safe bet in stablizing the craft, but I would refrain from mounting gear on them. The outriggers can still dunk and splash a bit, and the greatest benefit of them shown in the stability of the main craft. So, I would recommend keeping the gear on the main hull (kayak, canoe, etc.).

The biggest difficulty, no matter where the gear is mounted, will be reducing camera shake. There's a lot of that movement that is absorbed by the human body. In most of these shots, the boat was wiggling around from even the slightest movements and ripples in the water. Had the camera been solid mounted, I don't know if I'd have gotten a single clear shot.

With all of that said, I'd say the best option I've found to get close to water level is a nice lanyard, a firm grip on the camera, and simply hold it over the side.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Love the last shot! i Kayak with gear and normally I am only worried about the gear......but based on the last shot, I think gear would not be my biggest concern!! Under the circumstance and degree of difficult - Bravo!thumb.gif

Thanks!! I tell ya', it's pretty cool to be paddling along and realize there's an animal that could wreck your day...but he's just chillin' too, so it's all good. lol

Just a couple days after this trip, I went paddling with a friend through a very swampy area between two lakes. It was flooded grass (about shin deep) for about 150yds. As the sun went down, we approached the grass swamp...then our boats wouldn't float, so we GOT OUT AND DRAGGED THEM!!! This swamp area was loaded with gar (about 2-3' long), bass and who knows what else.

The return trip required the same measures. There's no feeling like walking through a flooded grass swamp, barefoot, in the dark, past about 100 sandhill cranes with only a headlamp, a paddle and a friend. Definitely VERY intense trek time.
  • Options
    DaverDaver Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    Wonderful shots! Looks like it was a bright and sunny day and the turtles were soaking up most of the sun.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2014
    Outriggers would likely be a safe bet in stablizing the craft, but I would refrain from mounting gear on them. The outriggers can still dunk and splash a bit, and the greatest benefit of them shown in the stability of the main craft. So, I would recommend keeping the gear on the main hull (kayak, canoe, etc.).

I didn't intend for the gear to be on the outrigger(s) ... but a low-level platform either hung over the side of a craft (or built-in if a purpose built craft) ... since this'd allow experimenting with both bits of gear on a separate basis.

I'd be considering using a bean-bag (as I do now) for cam support, since most (all?) heads etc raise the centreline too far (imo)

Since a canoe + outrigger(s) is - to my landlubber's way of thinking - essentially a cata / trimaran ... I wonder if a cat based 'special' would be worth considering - especially since such a (stable) layout was adopted for hydrobikes, with a far higher C of G.

The biggest difficulty, no matter where the gear is mounted, will be reducing camera shake. There's a lot of that movement that is absorbed by the human body. In most of these shots, the boat was wiggling around from even the slightest movements and ripples in the water. Had the camera been solid mounted, I don't know if I'd have gotten a single clear shot.

Although I personally have zero experience of using 'proper' gear from a small craft, I've seen many examples of superb photos taken from a variety of water craft such as floating hides. These seem to come in all manner of shapes and sizes - but, since they're all floating and irrespective of how they're being propelled / steered - they also have to deal with water movement affecting the task of getting a sharp pic.

With all of that said, I'd say the best option I've found to get close to water level is a nice lanyard, a firm grip on the camera, and simply hold it over the side.

Certainly one approach ... but using a 500 f4 + 1dm3, I'd have to really ponder over this'un:)

Googling 'Floating hide' is worth a look, btw.

Reading about your 'adventure' ... I suspect I'd be more inclined towards a purpose built craft for snapping purposes ... so any compromise in design would benefit that aim - almost inevitably to the detriment of craft performance.

pp
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2014
    Yep...holding a 500mm lens on a big honkin' 1dm3 would be a little tricky. I'd say a simple beanbag on the top deck of the kayak, with a deck bungee to hold it steady would be your best bet.

I checked the floating hides, and they're pretty cool, and would certainly work fine in calmer water with limited current / movement. With the types of rivers I tend to paddle, it's not uncommon to rip through a class III rapid here and there, so another floating thing to worry about is a bad idea for me. Same with the outriggers. They're awesome for fishing flat water, but there's no way I'd want to deal with one through a rapid when I need steering to be quick and accurate. Plus, if the camera is on the main craft, it can be quickly stowed away for the rough water, and easily accessible for the slackwater downstream.

I like the floating blinds, though. If I were camped out on a lake or very flat river, that would be a sweet way to get some fabulous shots. Especially if it could be remotely controlled through the water. I'd be all about driving it right up to a big gator for a little clicky click! lol