Our local skatepark

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited December 29, 2005 in Sports
I can't believe I'm posting in the "sports" thread!

CJ is visiting with us before Christmas for a day or two. So I needed a break, and the SUN was out -- no rain, no gloom, no damp! Throw open the doors and windows! Hurray!

Called my daughter (who had my grandson) and she came by and drove us to the skatepark.

Lots of opportunity for stopping the action -- but I can see I'd really want a dSLR to get nice "bokeh." I was more concerned with stopping the action. I was at the wrong end of the park, the north end. It's better at the south end where the sun would be behind my back instead of in my face.

When I got a skateboarder in the air, I'd call out "got him" and then CJ would want to see the LCD (I'm trying "really" hard here to get another photographer in the family, aren't I?)

Anyway, I guess the photographer and the skater really trust each other, I'm not sure I'd want to be sitting where he is, but I'm sure he got a nice blue sky as the background instead of an ugly fence!

49455630-L.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 25, 2005
    Hey, we were suprised to see you over here too :D

Nice first shot!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    Hmmm, T-ball is coming up?
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks Ian!

This skateboarding is pretty cool. I suspect I'll be hanging out there quite a bit. Maybe if this grandma can get to know some of the skaters she'll get brave and ask them to do some stunts for photos!

Then my grandson is starting T-ball soon. I'm sure I'll be called to some practices to take some photos. But, I'll spare the threads as much as I can.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Great capture. Getting good shots can be pretty hard at skateparks. I rode my bike down (mountain bike...not motorcycleear.gif) to the skatepark near my house with my newly acquired 70-200 f/4L and it was pretty hard. It can also be hard if it's really sunny because the concrete they use can be very bright in the sun.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Thanks Steven
    Red Bull wrote:
    Great capture. Getting good shots can be pretty hard at skateparks. I rode my bike down (mountain bike...not motorcycleear.gif) to the skatepark near my house with my newly acquired 70-200 f/4L and it was pretty hard. It can also be hard if it's really sunny because the concrete they use can be very bright in the sun.

I'm not sure why they need a fence around it, maybe to keep a stray skateboarder from hitting the sandy dirt -- can't really call it a sand dune. I'd think they'd be saver hitting the dirt than the fence...

I didn't think of the sun bouncing off the concrete... I hit the beach today due to the high surf warnings and completely forgot about the skatepark. I bet it was busy though, we had nice warm weather.

One more day before another nasty storm hits us with more high surf -- of course they block the streets to "non residents" but since I am a "town" resident, I ignore the signs and head on in... I got sprayed 3 times today and had to wipe down my camera...
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 29, 2005
    Yo Dee,

Welcome to Dgrin.....I mean to the Sports Forum.....Laughing.gif

I like what you were going for here. My only criticism is the busy background :uhoh I can't tell you how many pics I've messed up due to the same issue....lol

Anyhow, now that you've broken the ice here. Don't be a stranger :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero