Options

Bulk-editing tool replacement now available for beta-testing

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Yeah that's possible. In that case, would the displayed thumbnail size need to be larger too to fit everything in? I could introduce a jumbo row size.

One issue with using Small images is that the file sizes (and loading times) jump up a lot, I'll have to try it.

I would be interested in seeing what it looks like if the thumbs are extremely tiny. A strong case can be made for volume of thumbs on the visible screen. When I first clicked compact, I actually thought maybe if I clicked it again and again, I could keep resizing down. mwink.gif
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Oh yup, in that case I'll switch things up to make the rows independent, so resizing one doesn't mess up all the others.

I got different behaviors on resizing fields depending on what I did and when I did it.
    The best behavior, but I'm not sure how I triggered it: I resized the keyword field larger, and when I let go of the mouse, BLINK, both the title and [edit correction not keyword, caption] columns resized to the smallest possible size, and the keyword column filled the rest of the space. In other words the keyword field didn't move off and under the right side.

At other times resizing one keyword field affected that one field for one image only.

What did I do to get the first behavior...
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Sorry, I meant saving a copy of all the titles, captions and keywords.

Interesting - so they wouldn't have the images as a reference, to know what they attached to... would this be in csv format? ... you do have in your other tool the option to download the keywords for the galleries...
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    I mentioned on another thread something that - well I can't tell if it would be useful, or better, or additional.

In addition to what's in the current beta tool (not to replace that gem ever!), what if one could choose from a row of options.

A. Click an individual keyword [all keywords in this gallery get listed]: dog, bird, fowl, lake, boat
    B Click a subset (all photos that contain the same keywords) (this would show the user only the photos in the subset - the others are hidden)
    1. bird (1 photo)
    2. dog (50 photos)
    3. dog, boa, lake (1 photo)
    4. dog, boat, lake (3 photos)
    5. dog, bird watching, fowl, lake (20 photos)
    C. Select all
    D. Click individual photos and edit as usual

Actually, editing one of these batches one at a time might be overkill.

What I like about seeing the list of groups that share keywords, is that I don't have to scroll ONE LINE, if I'm only trying to tidy up keywords. My search/replaces are made just from viewing B1-B5:

Search: boa
    Replace: boat

Search: bird
    Replace bird watching

Search: fowl
    Replace: bird watching

Nicholas, the New SM actually has a bit of this, which I haven't used, but I do see they have clustered the group of keywords). Can you by chance pull code in from there?
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Log:
    I started to enter a term (2010-01-05) [note that I rarely have numbers as keywords so this was a first try really]. Added it successfully. Typed in another date to add it, but decided not to Apply Edit, and instead just Saved. Save appeared to proceed, but...
    Result: error message under the Save button:
    • 200/200 failed to save Please try again

Taking a guess that it was my term entered in the text field, I deleted it and tried to save again, with the same error resulting.

Taking another guess that the date I had entered to begin with, that appears to be valid, might not be.
    The dash?
    So I removed the date without difficulty.
    But save still gave me the above error.

At this point I concluded I had to kill the tab.

Started over, and the date was not in the keywords (makes sense, the save hadn't functioned).
    Added 2010-01-05 successfully.
    This time I made sure to leave all edit fields empty, and saved, and the date was converted to:
    20100105, and the save was successful.

Started over, added "test" as a keyword.
    Then typed 2010 in the add field, and SAVED.
    and the save was successful.

OKAY, since I couldn't reproduce the behavior of the error message, that triggered a memory that when I added the first date with hyphens, and clicked apply edit, the hyphens STAYED in the date and keyword field. They were visible to me. My bet is the SAVE failed because of that. The tests that followed, when I added a date, and applied the edit, the hyphens were removed immediately.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Trying to document behaviors:

1. Browser about 15 inches wide, activate tool, click keyword field corner to resize larger, start to drag it just a tiny bit, 1/16 inch only, to the right.
    Result: Title and Caption fields automatically resize down, and keyword field enlarges to fill the void they leave. When there is no more room in the available space to fit more keyword field - if you keep dragging 1/16 inch, the keyword field goes off the screen.
    Additional behavior:
    - the above behavior happens on a column basis, not just on the first image.
    - except, the keyword field of images 2-on, are slightly larger than the keyword field of image 1.

2. Now resize the keyword field back down, moving the corner left steadily.
    Result: The caption and title fields will begin to enlarge, and the keyword field shrinks, for as long as you maintain the mouse action.
    Additional behavior:
    - the above behavior happens on a column basis, not just on the first image.
    - except, the keyword field of images 2-on, stay slightly larger in width than the keyword field of image 1.

3. Starting over, fresh gallery access: move keyword field steadily to the left (not the same motion as 1/16 to the right), to reduce the keyword field size
    Result: With some jumping of the fields, eventually the keyword field is reduced in size, but for the most part the title and caption fields do not auto-size to fill the void. This behavior continues even when the keyword field is no wider than almost only the scroll bar that pops into existence.
    Additional behavior: If you then resize the keyword field back to larger, the behavior from (1) occurs.

4. Fresh gallery access, start with resize of caption field, larger. Mouse needs to move steadily right. Results are the same as (1).

5. Then resize the larger caption field back down: Title and keyword fields auto-resize larger but stop at their their original default sizes. Caption field can be further sized smaller.
    Additional behavior: The caption field of the image you are resizing can be made smaller, but the caption size of all images below the first, stop resizing when the default caption size is reached. This results in a mismatch of the caption field sizes for the column.

6. Fresh re-start. Resize the caption field larger and smaller. Then resize the keyword field larger and smaller.
    Result: One looses the function of (1), of there being an auto-resize of two fields when one is re-sized. The other fields do resize a bit, but because auto-fill is not working, even if there is available space, resizing will move the keyword field off the screen instead of filling available space. (This is probably not well described, I would say just try sizing/re-sizing first the caption field, then the keyword field, and watch how auto-resize and auto-fill no longer function.

Most of the above may not matter but some of the behaviors make for awkward screen presentation.

Other notes:
    A. the browser search function works to find terms in any field. Yippee. nod.gif
    However, I - ah-hum - would suggest message #36 in this thread would cancel out the need for this. nod.gif
    [EDIT: actually #36 wouldn't cancel this need. Using the browser search will always let you see the actual image a keyword is attached to. #36 would let you proofread or standardize keywords.]

B. I see only 3 images in normal and 4 in compact. Sure would be nice to see 7 or 8. nod.gif

C. What is "Set to"? headscratch.gif

D. What is "Erase"? - as opposed to remove? LOVE these even if I'm clueless. nod.gif

E. Sometimes search and replace for a term results in there there being a space between keyword and the semi that follows it. Sometimes there is no space, the edit appears clean. I'm not clear on why this happens. The search/replace function does recognize spaces, 1 or 2, for edit purposes.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Thanks Chancy. The most common error cause I've seen is the security token expiring (it expires every X minutes and needs to be refreshed). It should get refreshed automatically, but I'll add something in to trigger a refresh after a bunch of saves fail. I'll add some sort of logging in too so we can see the failure reason.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Don't bother testing the resize behaviour, it was never designed to work so it just behaves randomly pretty much. I'll start on adding proper resize ability soon.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Don't bother testing the resize behaviour, it was never designed to work so it just behaves randomly pretty much. I'll start on adding proper resize ability soon.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    :lol4:lol4:lol4
    :lol:lol:lol

Is there anything else I should not test!!!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Yeah that's possible. In that case, would the displayed thumbnail size need to be larger too to fit everything in? I could introduce a jumbo row size.

One issue with using Small images is that the file sizes (and loading times) jump up a lot, I'll have to try it.
    Maybe a thumb hover and small image shows in popup?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Is there anything else I should not test!!!

The way that the saving reinterprets and cleans up the keywords is 100% down to SmugMug (it's the same thing that happens when you write keywords into the regular, single photo, edit photo details window). But since it's important that the plugin writes keyword text that SM can understand, and it's important that saves actually take effect, it's still worth trying out anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    The way that the saving reinterprets and cleans up the keywords is 100% down to SmugMug (it's the same thing that happens when you write keywords into the regular, single photo, edit photo details window). But since it's important that the plugin writes keyword text that SM can understand, and it's important that saves actually take effect, it's still worth trying out anyway.

The reason I want to understand what behaviors in your tool are from Smugmug, and which not, is because there is currently a bug in the search/replace legacy tool that causes collapses of two words, and also doesn't manage the delimiters correctly. (Sometimes! not sure when).

And in your tool, sometimes an additional space between the last keyword and the semi following, gets inserted.

Those two phenomenon - is there any way they are related and is it possible to de-bug the legacy tool by examining this?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    Note for my last comment: The two behaviors, one of yours and one of SM's legacy, occur at the apply edit step.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    Yep, the search replace code is 100% mine. I'll see if I can track down that extra space and make it trim it out.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    I've updated the version of the Beta in the Chrome store (link in my first post) to 0.4.0.4. This release includes these new features:

- Show a larger version of the photo when you hover over the thumbnail
    - Adds a new "tiny" thumbnail size to fit tons and tons of photos on the screen
    - Shows a blue dot next to the filename of images that have been edited and need saved.

And these updates:

- Better resize behaviour for textboxes - though they now only allow vertical resizing.
    - Now tidies up trailing spaces when words are removed from keywords (i.e. if you have "hello there;" and you remove "there", previously the result would be "hello ;", now the result is "hello;")

I've also added a link to the extension's main menu which allows you to access the old "crop thumbnails" tool again.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Thanks
    The crop thumbnail works great. And it stays in the tool not like NewSmug had it having to
    start from scratch through the menu for every photo.

Very quick also, probably because the queues empty as no one has the tool available.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    The large popup of the thumbs is great for examining the photo when adding keywords.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Just noticed there is a bunch of tabs open after cropping. Return to gallery adding new tab?

Looks like it's just that picking the crop tool opens in new tab.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    I've updated the version of the Beta in the Chrome store (link in my first post) to 0.4.0.4. This release includes these new features:

- Show a larger version of the photo when you hover over the thumbnail
    - Adds a new "tiny" thumbnail size to fit tons and tons of photos on the screen
    - Shows a blue dot next to the filename of images that have been edited and need saved.

And these updates:

- Better resize behaviour for textboxes - though they now only allow vertical resizing.
    - Now tidies up trailing spaces when words are removed from keywords (i.e. if you have "hello there;" and you remove "there", previously the result would be "hello ;", now the result is "hello;")

I've also added a link to the extension's main menu which allows you to access the old "crop thumbnails" tool again.

Words fail me. Jaw-dropping gorgeous.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    There are some glitches I can't get the logic of....

- added one mwkw without a semi
    Result: double quotes inserted as delimiter

- the above only occurred on the first mwkw; subsequent mwkws did not add double quotes

- in addition I typed it as initial caps, and the caps stuck.
    This one is even more complicated because about 5 days ago in Smugmug in a gallery I added a mwkw with caps, and it stuck and is still valid (image attached).

- Removed the double quotes as a test (using your replace function) on my (one and only) mwkw, and then added a semi at the end of the string. On SAVE, double quotes were inserted. In the gallery, the mwkw is correctly only one kw, AND, it has the leading caps.

- Additional test, with no keywords at all, added one mwkw with a semi at the end (no quotes). Result: double quotes added but the semi was not replaced. Makes the keyword contain a semi.

Just because I've never known the rules - but knowing them would be, um, helpful - are we supposed to separate mwkws with semis, quotes, both? And singles - with quotes, semis, or what?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Just noticed there is a bunch of tabs open after cropping. Return to gallery adding new tab?

Looks like it's just that picking the crop tool opens in new tab.

Thanks for the feedback, in version 0.4.0.5 it will now open in the same tab as the original gallery (this version will be available in the store after the approximately 30 minute auto-approval time)
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    I've been just using a semi or comma on mwkw, both seem to work. Caps don't seem to
    mater except for search and replace. I copy from the caption sometimes where caps exist.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback, in version 0.4.0.5 it will now open in the same tab as the original gallery (this version will be available in the store after the approximately 30 minute auto-approval time)
    In extension tool I don't see anything about an update being available. Does Chrome check for this?

I had to delete the beta and re-add for the last one.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    There are some glitches I can't get the logic of....

Thanks for testing these tricky situations out!
    - added one mwkw without a semi
    Result: double quotes inserted as delimiter

Yep, that's how SM likes to format things if your only keyword is a mwkw. I guess they thought that a trailing semicolon or comma was ugly.
    This one is even more complicated because about 5 days ago in Smugmug in a gallery I added a mwkw with caps, and it stuck and is still valid (image attached).

Hm, is that something that SM doesn't normally allow you to do? I have some keywords from Lightroom which have mixed case too. I think it's supposed to show the mixed-case when you view the image, but they're displayed as lower case during keyword search.
    - Removed the double quotes as a test (using your replace function) on my (one and only) mwkw, and then adding a semi at the end of the string. On SAVE, double quotes were inserted. In the gallery, the mwkw is correctly only one kw, AND, it has the leading caps.

Oh yup, that sounds like it all works reasonably. Actually, the add tool is designed for adding keywords, not arbitrary text, so adding a semicolon tries to add a fresh new keyword which is just a semicolon, causing an extra semicolon to appear. It's harmless though, as SM will just strip it out upon save.
    - Additional test, with no keywords at all, added one mwkw with a semi at the end (no quotes). Result: double quotes added but the semi was not replaced. Makes the keyword contain a semi.

Ah yup, this is another case of the difference between "add text" (which my tool doesn't provide for the keyword field) and "add keywords". "Add keywords" takes care of details that a generic "add text" couldn't, since it knows (for example) that it needs to quote multi-word keywords if they will be added as the only keyword in the field. Luckily it doesn't matter either way, since SM will just remove the trailing semicolon upon save.
    Just because I've never known the rules - but knowing them would be, um, helpful - are we supposed to separate mwkws with semis, quotes, both? And singles - with quotes, semis, or what?

Actually, you can pretty much do whatever you like. The simplest method is just to end every keyword you enter with a semicolon:
    hello;

Or:
    testing this; thing out;

This way, your keywords are completely unambiguous, even if you type one more semicolon than you really needed to. But you can also do any of these, and get precisely the same result after saving:
    "testing this" "thing out"
    testing this; thing out
    testing this, thing out
    "testing this", "thing out"
    "testing this"; "thing out"
    """"testing this,,;;"; ",,;thing out;;,"

• Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    In extension tool I don't see anything about an update being available. Does Chrome check for this?

I had to delete the beta and re-add for the last one.

Chrome does check for updates automatically, but it only checks every 12 hours or so I believe. From Chrome's extensions page, you should be able to click the "update extensions now" button at the top right and see the version number next to the extension silently tick over to the new one within 30 seconds or so.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014

Hm, is that something that SM doesn't normally allow you to do? I have some keywords from Lightroom which have mixed case too. I think it's supposed to show the mixed-case when you view the image, but they're displayed as lower case during keyword search.

The image I attached in my message is from my smugmug gallery
    Seeing initial caps there is breaking the laws of physics in the SM world.
    The image is from 5 days ago, the keywords stuck.
    And they're happening in your tool as well today.
    I think SM is working on keyword programming???
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    New to Chrome so have not figured everything out yet.
    I hate that I can't send page link in email. Do it all the time in Firefox.
    No warning when closing multiple tabs.
    No quick page search from keyboard typing. Have to open search.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    - Removed the double quotes as a test (using your replace function) on my (one and only) mwkw, and then adding a semi at the end of the string. On SAVE, double quotes were inserted. In the gallery, the mwkw is correctly only one kw, AND, it has the leading caps.
    Oh yup, that sounds like it all works reasonably. Actually, the add tool is designed for adding keywords, not arbitrary text, so adding a semicolon tries to add a fresh new keyword which is just a semicolon, causing an extra semicolon to appear. It's harmless though, as SM will just strip it out upon save.

Did you remove the text-editing function? I could have sworn I was using one, same as legacy.
    I got quite confused about what I was seeing in the results of the beta test today, as a result.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Did you remove the text-editing function? I could have sworn I was using one, same as legacy.
    I got quite confused about what I was seeing in the results of the beta test today, as a result.
    Text editing where? I just edited a caption and KW.