Options

Upload probem...

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited January 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi all, everyone is asleep and Santa loaded up the stockings and under the tree, and decided to upload some photos before the Sandman cometh... So, I uploaded one photo with the beta loader, set the custom pricing, and went to upload the rest with the beta (which normally works like a charm) but am getting an error message that says I can only upload jpegs and gifs. They are all jpegs and all less than 16mb. Any ideas? I'm using the Windows uploader now no problem, its just that with a big upload, it will take much longer than with the beta. Just wondering...thanks and Merry Christmas! Best, Shane

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    Beta uploader didn't work for me either
    ...but am getting an error message that says I can only upload jpegs and gifs. They are all jpegs and all less than 16mb. Any ideas?

The beta loader didn't work for me either - didn't get the same error message though. I usually use StarExplorer, but tonight I was uploading images to another account (one I had just gifted) and was using the beta uploader. It did the upload (and it appeared to take the normal time to upload), then just quite saying it had no photos. I used the standard uploader instead (I only need to upload a couple photos) and it worked. So something is clearly busted with the beta uplaoder tonight.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    I had problems with the Beta last night. It would work, but only 2 out of 3 times, that third time it would just say "sorry". Upload that shot again. "sorry." One more time...success!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    Did you all update your java when the thing in the tray told you to (I know I got a message saying to update and I did...though I haven't tried the beta uploader since then so I don't know if it's related). Maybe the update screwed things up.
    Richard
  • Options
    Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    Well, I use the Mac Smugmug Uploader and I experienced the same problem that you did. Specifically, it looked like the photos were being uploaded but nothing was in the gallery.

Another eprson also reported this and asked me if I had Comcast as my ISP. Which I do. And the way I "fixed" it was to reset the cable modme and router and wait a few hours. I suspect the waiting is what did it.

So this might not be just the uploaded alone.

So is anyone else using Comcast and experiencing problems?
    jfriend wrote:
    The beta loader didn't work for me either - didn't get the same error message though. I usually use StarExplorer, but tonight I was uploading images to another account (one I had just gifted) and was using the beta uploader. It did the upload (and it appeared to take the normal time to upload), then just quite saying it had no photos. I used the standard uploader instead (I only need to upload a couple photos) and it worked. So something is clearly busted with the beta uplaoder tonight.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 26, 2005
    I use Comcast, but do not have your problem...although I have had your problem several months ago. As said in the first post, this time I don't even get an upload at all, just an error message saying that only jpegs and gifs can be uploaded, but they are all jpegs and I've never seen this error message before. So I'm just using the Windows uploader and it works fine. Oh well, I assume it will be fixed soon! The Windows uploader usually works and is now, its just limited in total upload capacity so for a big upload, I have to go through the process several times to get all the files up. Not the end of the world of course, but the Beta is much better as when it is working, it has no limit and I just set it once and let it run.
  • Options
    galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    I've been having this problem too with both the beta uploader and star explorer.

in star explorer the result of the upload is /int and at least it stays in the queue so I can retry. With the java beta one, it doesn't give any error, I just need to go through and see.

it's happening quite often, like > 10% of my pics!

-KG
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    galla47 wrote:
    I've been having this problem too with both the beta uploader and star explorer.

in star explorer the result of the upload is /int and at least it stays in the queue so I can retry. With the java beta one, it doesn't give any error, I just need to go through and see.

it's happening quite often, like > 10% of my pics!

-KG

Have you tried the packet loss test on www.dslreports.com? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2005
    I just uploaded 17 pictures with the Beta / Java uploader... only 13 made it through.

When I re-uploaded the 4 that didn't go, 3 were accepted, I got them all on the 3rd try, though.

-KG

Packet lost test came back with 100% success. No lost packets.
  • Options
    tibutibu Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Same here
    Hi

I'm also having the same problem with the beta uploader. I sent let's say 50 images and only 40 or so are uploaded. I don't get any error message, just some images are missing

Carlos
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2005
    tibu wrote:
    Hi

I'm also having the same problem with the beta uploader. I sent let's say 50 images and only 40 or so are uploaded. I don't get any error message, just some images are missing

Carlos

Are you sure that all the images that you tried to upload are under 8mb (for standard and power accts) or 16mb (for pro account)? Are they all smaller in size than 48megapixels?
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2005
    In my case yes... All are around 2.5 MB and 6.1 Megapixel. I'm always able to upload them eventually, it sometimes just takes 2 or 3 shots.

I did another batch with star*explorer last night. There were 48 in the batch. 4 got the /int error (and were not uploaded). When I tried those 4 a second time, they all went through.

-KG
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    I'm having the same problem as well using the beta uploader from FF1.5 on WinXP SP2. This has happened on a couple of galleries where I get 90-95% success, then I have to go back and figure out which ones didn't make it. After sending those images again (and again on a couple of occassions), they finally make it.

Before yesterday, no problems. Yesterday and today it isn't working correctly.

Sounds like enough of us are having the problem that it might be on smugmug's end.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Yep same problem for me. I have been each day working on uploading parts of 1600 images to one gallery as a backup storage and use the beta uploader. Until about 1 week ago, no problems. Then it started acting up. I usually set 80-100 to upload and leave it. I come back and I have to search through and figure out which ones didn't go through. No rhyme or reason to which ones didn't go. Then I upload them again. Again about 90% go through. Then I do the last 2 or 3. And then they all are there. Like I said I have been uploading to this specific gallery since about Dec 1. Error started around about Dec 20th. I don't have to make any changes to the files that for some reason don't go on the first try and do on the 2nd, 3rd try. This is the only uploader I have used since it became available. Nothing on my end has changed (At least to my knowledge). I don't get any error message or anything for the images that didn't go through. But the # of files showing received tends to be accurate (the same that show up in the gallery, not the same as # uploaded).
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2005
    Hi
    Andy wrote:
    Are you sure that all the images that you tried to upload are under 8mb (for standard and power accts) or 16mb (for pro account)? Are they all smaller in size than 48megapixels?
    Hi

Yes, all the files are around 2MB JPEGs and I've used the same method to create and upload them for a while. ne_nau.gif

Carlos
  • Options
    Moon MullenMoon Mullen Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Beta Uploader Messed Up
    Over the last week I have had numerous problems with the beta uploader. I am using Firefox 1.5. I downloaded a Java update about the same time I started having problems (Java Plug-In 1.5.0_06). I have no idea if this is related to the problem but thought I'd share the fact.

The problem is unrelated to the size of the file as I have issues with 5 photos or 100 photos. The file size per photo is anywhere from 1mb to 6mb and I am a Power User. When I have problems I get 1 of 3 results:
    1. Smugmug will reflect "We received 1 photos" when I sent multiple photos. If I check back in another 5 minutes or so all of the photos I uploaded show up in the gallery.
    2. Smugmug reflects some number of photos have been received but it isn't the same amount that I uploaded (e.g. upload 10 but only 5 received).
    3. Smugmug indicates it didn't get any photos. I have to start over again.

These problems seem to be occurring consistenly. I don't think I am reporting anything new, but I wanted to echo the problems had by others in case a fix is in order. If not a fix, are there certain steps I need to take other than dragging and dropping my photos in the upload box? Does dragging a folder yield better results?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2005
    Maybe is the new firefox
    Hi

Now that you mention it, I upgraded recently to Firefox 1.5 so that may cause problems. Is a bit difficult to believe since that should be handled separately by the Java VM but who knows.

Carlos
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2005
    Over the last week I have had numerous problems with the beta uploader. I am using Firefox 1.5. I downloaded a Java update about the same time I started having problems (Java Plug-In 1.5.0_06). I have no idea if this is related to the problem but thought I'd share the fact.

The problem is unrelated to the size of the file as I have issues with 5 photos or 100 photos. The file size per photo is anywhere from 1mb to 6mb and I am a Power User. When I have problems I get 1 of 3 results:
    1. Smugmug will reflect "We received 1 photos" when I sent multiple photos. If I check back in another 5 minutes or so all of the photos I uploaded show up in the gallery.
    2. Smugmug reflects some number of photos have been received but it isn't the same amount that I uploaded (e.g. upload 10 but only 5 received).
    3. Smugmug indicates it didn't get any photos. I have to start over again.

These problems seem to be occurring consistenly. I don't think I am reporting anything new, but I wanted to echo the problems had by others in case a fix is in order. If not a fix, are there certain steps I need to take other than dragging and dropping my photos in the upload box? Does dragging a folder yield better results?

wave.gif Thanks Moon - for the report - our Product Manager and engineers will see this, and the Beta will be better for all of us! Stay tuned for more on the Beta - can't say if/when but hang in there.

In the meantime, if you are a Windows user, there's always

SendToSmugMug- works great!
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug

and

StarExplorer
    http://www.starexplorer.com/

I hope this helps.

Andy

PS: Happy New Year to you and the family. Hi to brother Joe!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    Now it seems to work
    Hi

FWIW I've noticed that the uploader is working fine. I'm not trying to upload large batches just some 10 or 20 but they have worked quite fine

Carlos
  • Options
    lleanselleanse Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 7, 2006
    tibu wrote:
    Hi

Carlos
    Hi:

I have the same problem. My situation: I created smart iPhoto albums by date range. This created albums containing about 300-750 photos each. I have been uploading these albums one at a time to SmugMug galleries which have the same names. Sometimes the Mac OSX SmugMug Uploader works perfectly, and sometimes it only uploads some of the photos.

I don't mind starting the upload again, but I don't know any practical way to tell which of the photos were successfully uploaded the first time. This would be no problem if the Uploader would ignore photos which are already in the SmugMug gallery, but instead it makes a second copy of all the photos. Is there some way to tell the Uploader to NOT upload photos which are already in the specified gallery?

Thank you.