Welcome Swallows just being a nightmare to get

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Sony NEX-7, Canon FD 500 F/4.5L, hand held, manual focus.

Danny.

Comments

• Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Wow! Sharp and vibrant and beautifully presented! Knocked it out of the park! What zoom length do you have? Thanks!
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Spectacular!! Best, Pam
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow! Sharp and vibrant and beautifully presented! Knocked it out of the park! What zoom length do you have? Thanks!

Posted under the shots ;)
    Sony NEX-7, Canon FD 500 F/4.5L, hand held, manual focus.

All the best and thanks. Just off for another shoot and will catch up later on a few shots in here thanks folks.

Danny.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Thanks Danny! Just saw it....did you really get the BIFs with manual focus...? With that gynormous lens, I think that would be hard to do hand-held even for still subjects. Maybe you take 100s of shots and some of them just came into focus by accident?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 30, 2014
    Swallows in flight - now that is a difficult task indeed!! Manual Focus - how did you do it??

Very nicely captured images.

How many shots did you delete to get these, if I may ask an impertinent question?bowdown.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    Thanks Danny! Just saw it....did you really get the BIFs with manual focus...? With that gynormous lens, I think that would be hard to do hand-held even for still subjects. Maybe you take 100s of shots and some of them just came into focus by accident?

Well in that case I have a ton of flukes :D

www.birdsinaction.com

I only own manual focus lenses. AF is far too complicated

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Its the reason I bought the NEX-7 to suit the lenses, not the other way around.

All the best and thanks folks.

Danny.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Swallows in flight - now that is a difficult task indeed!! Manual Focus - how did you do it??

Very nicely captured images.

How many shots did you delete to get these, if I may ask an impertinent question?bowdown.gif

Of course you can ask. With BIF's I expect at least 3 out of 5 shots. Stationary bird, 5 out of 5. The only lens that goes on the tripod is the 800 F/5.6L, everything else is hand held.

All the best.

Danny.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2014
    Wow! Splendid work. I love those Sony sensors!
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    I didn't think anyone would try BIFs with manual focus, much less master it! Me personally, I would have better shot of getting these birds blindfolded than with manual focus. Same goes for keeper rate.....60%....on a very good day, where I get lucky with a sequence, maybe I hit 5%....normally, 1% or less!
    Keep up the great work!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    I didn't think anyone would try BIFs with manual focus, much less master it! Me personally, I would have better shot of getting these birds blindfolded than with manual focus. Same goes for keeper rate.....60%....on a very good day, where I get lucky with a sequence, maybe I hit 5%....normally, 1% or less!
    Keep up the great work!!thumb.gif

Yeah but a little different as well. I would shoot a lot slower and not as many shots as most folks. Steve one of the guy's I shoot with, fires off everything at 14 FPS, he might end up with 6-7 shots I guess that would be worth while out of that (guessing, could be a lot more) and I would only fire of 3-4 shots, so there is a big difference. Out of a day I might only go home with 60 - 120 shots. So a lot more careful with MF at the end of the day.

Danny.