Options

Always take roads less traveled

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited June 2, 2014 in Wildlife
Some critters refused, some obliged! Below are my attempts. All criticism cherished!

1)

IMG_5220-X2.jpg

2)

IMG_5372-X2.jpg

3)

IMG_5355-X2.jpg

4)

IMG_5558-X2.jpg

5)

IMG_5400-X2.jpg

6)

IMG_5573-X2.jpg

7)

IMG_5582-X2.jpg

8)

IMG_5594-X2.jpg

9)

IMG_5608-X2.jpg

10)

IMG_5616-X2.jpg

11)

IMG_5626-X2.jpg

12)

IMG_5651-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DaverDaver Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    Very nice set and I am really diggin number 12. All sweet shots and it looks like you traveled the right road. Well done.
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    Good shooting. #4 is a classic. thumb.gif
    Steve
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    Well done!!

3, 7 & 12 are my favs.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2014
    Daver wrote: »
    Very nice set and I am really diggin number 12. All sweet shots and it looks like you traveled the right road. Well done.
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Good shooting. #4 is a classic. thumb.gif
    Well done!!

3, 7 & 12 are my favs.

Thanks Dave, Steve and JBR!thumb.gifbow

Since you guys mentioned 12.....after past experience, despite bright light, sometimes harsh shadows ruin shots, so carried around flash, adding to the weight and space management while driving.....however, it saved couple of shots.....Turkey was in shadow area and wouldn't be useable without it.....and #12.....it was taken half hour after sunset with very little ambient light left.....the bird is completely black...so it kind of worked! Thought you would like to know.....just thinking out loud! Cheers!:ivar
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    It always blows my mind how a flash in daytime/twilight hours can save a pic. Great use of the equipment!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 2, 2014
    Great series, I like the tones in your last image a lot - hard to capture all those black tones in dim light

In your turkey image I do not see a catchlight in the eye, you did say you used flash didn't you? Off camera maybe?

I agree that fill flash for wildlife is an under appreciated tool. Good on ya!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Great series, I like the tones in your last image a lot - hard to capture all those black tones in dim light

In your turkey image I do not see a catchlight in the eye, you did say you used flash didn't you? Off camera maybe?

I agree that fill flash for wildlife is an under appreciated tool. Good on ya!

Thanks Pathfinder! Much appreciate the feedback and I used the advice from last time and used lowest clarity and vibrance I have ever used in wildlife images and happy with result! Last one worked out and its natural dark color lend very well to monochrome processing.

I did use flash for Turkey shot, but from some distance. The head of Turkey barely filled the AF point. It helped light up background + some enhancement in processing. I did have diffuser on as well. Maybe that is why catchlight didn't show? Don't know enough about what went on, but the first shot where flash was off, was not as nicely lit.