Options

Lazy Sunsets

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited June 15, 2014 in Landscapes
Nothing but blah light/weather in and around my home in San Jose, CA. Would have to stop being lazy and chase light elsewhere soon. However, for 15 minutes or so around sunsets, there are some colors to be had. Hope I stitched the available elements in some meaningful way! All feedback and criticism is appreciated!

1)

1W7A4941-X2.jpg

2)

1W7A5017-X2.jpg

3)

1W7A4972-X2.jpg

4)

1W7A4983-X2.jpg

5)

1W7A5064-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    More good stuff, Taz. thumb.gif #3 is very appealing, but that #1 is exceptionally well done....excellent composition and balance. It's a relaxing time of day that you captured superbly well. Kudos.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    So excited to be in that area later this year!!! I've never been to CA, but I've been in every state the touches it. lol

#1 is textbook perfect postcard/greeting card/tv commercial...very awesome
    #5 is my favorite
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2014
    More good stuff, Taz. thumb.gif #3 is very appealing, but that #1 is exceptionally well done....excellent composition and balance. It's a relaxing time of day that you captured superbly well. Kudos.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2014
    So excited to be in that area later this year!!! I've never been to CA, but I've been in every state the touches it. lol

#1 is textbook perfect postcard/greeting card/tv commercial...very awesome
    #5 is my favorite

Thanks JBR! If you make it out here, do send a PM and let me know!!
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    I like the 5th the best although I wish there was less space between the stump on the bottom and the horizon on the top but it's a minor quibble.

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    I really like that 3rd one too ... always liked high vantage points like that, plus neat lighting
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2014
    I like the 5th the best although I wish there was less space between the stump on the bottom and the horizon on the top but it's a minor quibble.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I like your point....less distance would make it possible to have more natural connection instead of requiring two separate viewings!
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Mike! I like your point....less distance would make it possible to have more natural connection instead of requiring two separate viewings!

You might want to try content aware scaling in PS if you have it. I don't think it would need much.

Where were these taken?

BTW, I really like how the long exposure smoothed out the water in that last one.
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    You might want to try content aware scaling in PS if you have it. I don't think it would need much.

Where were these taken?

BTW, I really like how the long exposure smoothed out the water in that last one.

Thanks again! I will look into PS. These were taken at Anderson-Lake. The GPS takes one to park and not this place. Best way to get there is to program the co-ordinates for Henry Coe, East Dunne entrance....few miles after Morgan Hill, you will pass this lake....there is no other way around it so can't miss it. There are some pull over spots from the drive itself which give the whole view of the lake.

For water smoothing out.....if the movement is already less, like the ripples in 2nd shot, then long exposure will give the glassy bottom. For something more turbulent, like sea, need even longer exposure. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2014
    Another day, another sunset! A different POV for same location!

1)

1W7A5089-X2.jpg

2)

1W7A5108-X2.jpg
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2014
    #2 = winner!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2014
    #2 = winner!

Thanks!
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2014
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2014
    EvanThomas wrote: »
    I like both those new ones, good job ;-)

Thanks Evan! Greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2014
    Sunset is one of the theme's of our 2014 camera club scavenger hunt competition. I like the 1st in the second series. I wonder how it would look with the lower right vegetation cropped or cloned out as it seems to be distracting. IMHO (most humble opinion.)
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2014
    Sunset is one of the theme's of our 2014 camera club scavenger hunt competition. I like the 1st in the second series. I wonder how it would look with the lower right vegetation cropped or cloned out as it seems to be distracting. IMHO (most humble opinion.)

Thanks Phil! I didn't think about cropping it out, but something to play with and will try it. You are gentle soul, even if your harsh opinion would be quiet humble! Value it very much! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2014

Thanks again Phil! Clone had no chance with my current skills....so I tried some cropping.......and got this

1W7A5089-X2.jpg
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2014
    I vote for #2 also. The Stump and water texture takes you right to that sunset.
    Great Group of Images.

Nicely Done.