Who has actually sold a commercial license?

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited June 5, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am sure somebody out there has sold an image or images via SM using the Commercial Download option....

I have a small company asking for an image for use as their new business logo... established local small but successful company... i'm guessing a 1-2 million per year company. I'm not sure what to charge and could use some advice.

Is using the terms SM have online work without any other contract.....?

Please advise, I could use is.....

Thank you
Lee Wiren

Comments

• The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    Hi Wiren,

While I am not sure of your exact plan or requirements. If I were to be buying a Logo from a design company, I would expect it as Vector Art so it is scalable and easily changed down the road. Selling of vector art or .eps files is not supported, as such you can not sell these through the shopping cart.

You can upload a .jpg version and sell this through the cart, but in this actual case, it may be best to handle this in person with your client so you can supply them with more file options.

I hope this will help you along.

-Scott
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    Hi Wiren,

While I am not sure of your exact plan or requirements. If I were to be buying a Logo from a design company, I would expect it as Vector Art so it is scalable and easily changed down the road. Selling of vector art or .eps files is not supported, as such you can not sell these through the shopping cart.

You can upload a .jpg version and sell this through the cart, but in this actual case, it may be best to handle this in person with your client so you can supply them with more file options.

I hope this will help you along.

-Scott

Thanks for your reply Scott. I have never heard of Vector Art and will need to look that up.

The owner of this company, a friend of my brothers, is planning on purchasing a metal print of my image for his office and stated that he would like to license the image for his new website.... I am not sure if he plans on using the image in any other way.

I have always had the "Commercial Download" option for my images and have pricing set for personal and commercial use.... I have always had the pricing for my commercial licensing set at $750 for web size, $2,250 for a 1mp and $9,000 for a 4mp size... I guess I am just not sure if i'm asking for way too much, or too little.....ne_nau.gif I have never had anybody inquire about licensing an image and i'm in the dark.....

Also, I am wondering if they use my SM site to license the image, is there anything else I need to do, or if at purchase the usage limitations are all given at time of the purchase.....? What would occur if the purchase the image via SM with those limitations and then I find out they are not using in the intended way..... Do I involve SM at that point or seek legal actions on my own....? I can't imagine this fellow doing anything other than what he states, but I wanted to get some insight before I make a deal to know how to proceed if anything negative comes from it...

I am hoping somebody who has sold an image via SM on a commercial license basis can tell me of their experience and if they think my pricing is anywhere in the ballpark where it should be or not....

Thanks again for your response.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2014
    learning as I go
    In the interest of keeping a dialogue for future members that may need the same info or have similar questions, I will update this discussion with steps taken and activity by me and my interested party. I was hoping to have a bit more response, but realise that not many members read these forums often and may miss this....

So, last evening, I sat down and wrote an email to the potenetial customer. I did this due to the lack of initial information that I received from him. In my message, I of course thanks him for the opportunity he is giving me, and how much it means that he likes the image enough to desire licening it.

I informed him that I was starting research on creating a fair market value quote and that I needed additional information to account for all the variables regarding the use he intends to make of my image. I asked him the following

1. His audience size
    2. His marketing budget
    3. Intended use of image (web only, web and brochurs, flyers, business cards, billboards.....etc)
    4. Desired length of time for image use.... Limited time vs perpetual.

I did not go into detail of why I need these questions answered so as to keep the message brief and to the point, otherwise, he would not read it and just call me.... when I get the answers to these questions, it will help me determine a cost to put on the licensing of that one image.

I am learning as I go, but trying to sound intelligent and confident. When I am able to put a quote together, I will meet with him and inform him of the price with the confidence to stand behind it. If he looks at me like i'm crazy, I can show him why I came to the price and that it would be the same for everybody. As this is a close friend of my brothers whose acquaintance I have made a few times in the past, I will be prepared to show my quote with a slight difference of a low and high end... telling him that in the interest of the friendship and commroderie he shares with my brother, I would be happy to give him the lower end.

If you are reading this and I have left something vital out that you know should be addressed, please do state so, even if it is after my sale is done... that way in case any other person needing this information looks up this discussion, they can have all the knowledge they need.

Lee
    Lee Wiren