Options

Mesa Arch

JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
edited June 14, 2014 in Landscapes
Sunrise at Mesa Arch. Any tips on reducing some of the flares?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 8, 2014
    one more
    Jacobovs wrote: »
    Sunrise at Mesa Arch. Any tips on reducing some of the flared?

Any feedback on this one?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited June 9, 2014
    I don't mind the flares. The first pic looks too bright. The second appears more controlled. That, and there's more background scenery to be seen through the arch.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    The only thoughts I have about reducing the flares came from reading Marc Muench's book, and they work. First, don't use any filters. They exacerbate the problem. Second, take a shot where you hold your finger or something over the sun, covering as little else as possible. That shot will have better contrast and few flares. It will also have a finger in the frame, of course, but you can blend the good parts of that image into the result.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    Cornflake wrote: »
    The only thoughts I have about reducing the flares came from reading Marc Muench's book, and they work. First, don't use any filters. They exacerbate the problem. Second, take a shot where you hold your finger or something over the sun, covering as little else as possible. That shot will have better contrast and few flares. It will also have a finger in the frame, of course, but you can blend the good parts of that image into the result.

Great info!! Thanks for sharing! Trying to find something that deflects it, similar effect as finger, except without it, also kind of works! Effects comp slightly....
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    Looks like you were a little late to the party for best light.
    You could have covered more of the sun with the arch just let a sliver peek out.
    As is increase clarity and will reduce it a bit...play with contrast... not much to be done to reduce this much flare in processing.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 13, 2014
    I think the larger problem with the first one is that it's overexposed. There's just too much blown out. I think zoomer had the right idea that having less exposed sun area would have produced a more crisp star with less flare. The second one is better, but it's really flat. Maybe try increasing the contrast on it by playing with levels and/or curves. I played around with raising the black point as well as moving the midpoint right and it really looked a lot better to my eye.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I don't mind the flares. The first pic looks too bright. The second appears more controlled. That, and there's more background scenery to be seen through the arch.

Thanks for the tips. I will certainly try them next time
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2014
    zoomer wrote: »
    Looks like you were a little late to the party for best light.
    You could have covered more of the sun with the arch just let a sliver peek out.
    As is increase clarity and will reduce it a bit...play with contrast... not much to be done to reduce this much flare in processing.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I will try the clarity and contrast to see if I like it better.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    I think the larger problem with the first one is that it's overexposed. There's just too much blown out. I think zoomer had the right idea that having less exposed sun area would have produced a more crisp star with less flare. The second one is better, but it's really flat. Maybe try increasing the contrast on it by playing with levels and/or curves. I played around with raising the black point as well as moving the midpoint right and it really looked a lot better to my eye.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try that.