Muscid fly

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited June 11, 2014 in Holy Macro
Muscid fly closeup - 4:1 FF focus stacked using zerene.
Brian V.

14193528429_ea0fb4f706_o.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    Hi Brian, just asking....for your MPE-65, do you get to pick with some ring or something whether you want 1:1 or 4:1? Do you make that decision based on size of the subject? In other words if subject is big enough than maybe 1:1 is enough? What is the trade-off? Does focusing get harder or easy with higher ratio? Thanks!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hi Brian, just asking....for your MPE-65, do you get to pick with some ring or something whether you want 1:1 or 4:1? Do you make that decision based on size of the subject? In other words if subject is big enough than maybe 1:1 is enough? What is the trade-off? Does focusing get harder or easy with higher ratio? Thanks!

Hi Sb
    Yes there is ring which you may call the magnification or focus changer - it effectively does both. I tend to set the magnification I want and then focus by moving the camera. Although many people seem to think otherwise, I regard this the same as a normal macro lens where the focus changes the magnification and again I tend to set the magnification and focus by moving the camera.

Yes the higher magnification, the lower the DOF and the harder it is to get good focus- you also have a dimmer viewfinder to contend with as the mag goes up.

It's up to you what magnification you use - with this particular subject, I already have loads of lower mag shots so wanted to try a high mag focus stack .

Brian v.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    Thanks Brian!bowdown.gifclap
  • JulianNellJulianNell Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    Spectacular!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2014
    JulianNell wrote: »
    Spectacular!

Thanks Julian :)