Options

how to 301 redirect?

RolfvpRolfvp Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited June 13, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I have several links on the Web pointing to pages that no longer exist after I moved my site to SmugMug. I have read a lot about the subject but still lacks basic understanding of how it's done. I would be grateful if anyone can help me on the way

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2014
    That's not something you can do on SmugMug. Redirects are only something you can set up at your domain host. But if you've set up the domain to work with SmugMug via the CNAME record, you'll likely not able to set up any redirects for the address you've pointed to SmugMug as all requests for that address would be handled directly by SmugMug.
    Since your domain with the www in front is set to work with SmugMug, you'd likely only be able to set up redirects for addresses without the www in front or ones that use a subdomain.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2014
    Rolfvp wrote: »
    I have several links on the Web pointing to pages that no longer exist after I moved my site to SmugMug. I have read a lot about the subject but still lacks basic understanding of how it's done. I would be grateful if anyone can help me on the way

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can do a 401 page.
    Go to the URL field and enter your domain followed by a bogus term.
    E.g.
    joinrats.com/gogogogogogogogogogogog

Once you land on the page not found page, open "customize size", and customize it like any other page.
  • Options
    RolfvpRolfvp Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    Once you land on the page not found page, open "customize size", and customize it like any other page.
    Good idea, i will do that.

But some old links, like this one mydomain/ib.html point to Smugmug page "These aren't the photos you're looking for."

Any chance to fix this?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    Don't think so, looks like SmugMug has special handling for URLs that end with a file extension such as ".html" (since they could never have been valid gallery links from SmugMug).
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2014
    Rolfvp wrote: »
    But some old links, like this one mydomain/ib.html point to Smugmug page "These aren't the photos you're looking for."

Any chance to fix this?
    At this point the custom 404 page only works for links that include no file extension. So right now there's nothing you can do about these old links going to the generic SmugMug error page. I'm sorry.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero