Options

Pt. Lobos - Nature's music

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited July 1, 2014 in Landscapes
Pt. Lobos is located in heart of Carmel-by-the-sea, in CA. More often than not fog rolls in during evening in summers, but I caught an evening where it didn't. July is supposed to be good to hang around Big-Sur and Carmel. While sunset was not epic, I caught light at this location that I had not done so previously.

All helpful pointers and criticism is cherished. Below are my attempts:

1)

1W7A5421-X3.jpg

2)

1W7A5490-X3.jpg

3)

1W7A5526-X3.jpg

4)

1W7A5485-X3.jpg

5)

1W7A5552-X3.jpg

6)

1W7A5576-X3.jpg

7)

1W7A5636-X3.jpg

8)

1W7A5650-X3.jpg

9)

1W7A5697-X3.jpg

10)

1W7A5666-X3.jpg

11)

1W7A5726-X3.jpg

12)

1W7A5798-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 16, 2014
    Gorgeous pictures, man. 3, 4, 5, 10 & 12 for the win! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Gorgeous pictures, man. 3, 4, 5, 10 & 12 for the win! clap.gif

Thanks Joel! Next month we ought to hit more of southern coast as there is higher chance of sky being clear at night and more good light days...I got that tip from a local who I met yesterday and who lives in the area and is good photographer!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2014
    Very well done series, Taz. Your landscape work ranks with the best. I have to say, though, that B&W landscapes don't do much for me. I realize it's purely a personal thing, and that plenty of folks feel differently. In any event, I look forward to seeing what you come up with....it's always interesting.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2014
    Very well done series, Taz. Your landscape work ranks with the best. I have to say, though, that B&W landscapes don't do much for me. I realize it's purely a personal thing, and that plenty of folks feel differently. In any event, I look forward to seeing what you come up with....it's always interesting.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom!bowdown.gif Can't express how much I value your input and feedback!! Just experimenting and trying new and different things. Hope is to create photos that cause one to be drawn in, linger, wonder.....experiments with b&w etc. are all in search of "that" thing. Not there yet, but hope to get there! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2014
    Colored version of one of the b&w shots....

1W7A5726_colored-X3.jpg
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2014
    These are all just wonderful but I do have my favorites. For me #4 evokes images from Lord of the Rings. I half expected to see Gandalf strolling through with his staff. My top favorite is #12. When I first saw your landscapes I couldn't put my finger on what made them so special. Finally it dawned on me that in your work there is always a strong foreground in perfectly sharp focus. It occurs to me that in my landscapes very often the focus seems to be midway between foreground and background. I shall adjust my shooting accordingly!! (Never too old to learn new tricks)

jack

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    These are all just wonderful but I do have my favorites. For me #4 evokes images from Lord of the Rings. I half expected to see Gandalf strolling through with his staff. My top favorite is #12. When I first saw your landscapes I couldn't put my finger on what made them so special. Finally it dawned on me that in your work there is always a strong foreground in perfectly sharp focus. It occurs to me that in my landscapes very often the focus seems to be midway between foreground and background. I shall adjust my shooting accordingly!! (Never too old to learn new tricks)

jack

Thanks John! Made my day! Kind words, both humbling and heartening! Share the goal with you of always trying to get better and look for feedback. I am not sure foreground elements are result of any conscious technique, and are more remnant of amateurish traits where I ask what more goodies can I jam in this thing.:D Probably elite folks ask, what more elements I can strip from this frame....and thus achieve maximum impact.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2014
    As always, stunning views and images Taz!
    I was recently at Point Lobos also, and I recognize some of the places/views in your pics.
    You had very nice light (I didn't) on your visit... so, I'm liking your shots a lot more than mine.
    My saving grace was the Otter shots - I chased those pretty hard and didn't do much landscape.
    I like B&W, so, I think all except the first one (#1) look pretty good... but I'd give the edge to color here - especially #10 ~ killer!!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    As always, stunning views and images Taz!
    I was recently at Point Lobos also, and I recognize some of the places/views in your pics.
    You had very nice light (I didn't) on your visit... so, I'm liking your shots a lot more than mine.
    My saving grace was the Otter shots - I chased those pretty hard and didn't do much landscape.
    I like B&W, so, I think all except the first one (#1) look pretty good... but I'd give the edge to color here - especially #10 ~ killer!!

Thanks Eric!! Appreciate it as always!:ivar
    I have walked by these when light was not right so even a hint of good light is precious!
    Those Otter shots are legendary and burned in my memory forever! I thought you got them in MB, but at Pt. Lobos that is bit tricky....as some of the trails are cliffy! So if yo got them here, that is even more impressive! Cheers!
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2014
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2014
    EvanThomas wrote: »
    I really like the #11 and #12, nice job! :)

Thanks Evan!! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    Sir Stumble,

A great group of photos. Seems you and I have been hanging out in the same area recently... I'd say that 5, 6, 9 and 10 are my favorites.

Your feet and mine were standing in the same footprints for your number 11 and this one of mine :)http://www.johnbrody.com/Travel/Favorites/i-jqhKMdG

Well done, John

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    That #10 with the light rays is really cool, not sure how I missed that before! The colored version of the B&W is nice too!
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2014
    Brody wrote: »
    Sir Stumble,

A great group of photos. Seems you and I have been hanging out in the same area recently... I'd say that 5, 6, 9 and 10 are my favorites.

Your feet and mine were standing in the same footprints for your number 11 and this one of mine :)http://www.johnbrody.com/Travel/Favorites/i-jqhKMdG/2/XL/Point-Lobos-White-Foam-Version-2----IM3_8185_6_7_8_9-XL.jpg

Well done, John

Thanks John! I love your processing! I think you used a bit wider lens! Love that grove! Maybe run into you sometime! Cheers!
  • Options
    BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks John! I love your processing! I think you used a bit wider lens! Love that grove! Maybe run into you sometime! Cheers!

Thanks for the processing feedback - I try to be subtle. You're right on the wide angle - I looked at the RAW and it's the 24-70 II wide open. I must have been playing with my new lens :) Now I'm itching for another trip to Monterey...

Thanks again, John

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________