2014-1984.jpg

2014-1992.jpg

Not seen one of these before.

2014-1975.jpg

2014-1970.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    Brilliant!! How many times do I need to wrap the paper towel around my plastic diffuser to achieve the diffusion in first 3 shots? Did you use tripod? They never stay in one place for more than half a second so I find it impossible to set it up. Otherwise our gear is same! Cheers!
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    SB, Thank you :)

With regards to diffusion, I'd just keep adding layers until you get what you wish to achieve. Mine is a little different in one respect, using a daft sized softbox in addition to the front fabric and smaller piece that goes inside, I've also included two sheets of the foam sheeting that TV's and Monitors tend to come wrapped in nowadays. It really helps to take the edge off.

It's not brilliant for some of the more shiny and metallic insects but overall does help to reduce the risk over over exposed extremeties and harsh highlights. Fortunately the fly in the top 3 shots (can't remember the species) is quite a dull non-reflective fly anyway.

Lots of people get their diffusion perfect with just one layer of material but multiple layers can help just as much. A bit of trial and error :)

I never use a tripod with bug photography as it'd be long gone before I was able to get into the correct position. I know some use a monopod and I believe Brian uses a long pole in some shots just to stabilise the camera and reduce movement, holding the camera and the pole together (I think).

I often almost pass out through holding my breath for too long haha.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    Thanks Ian! Can't say it enough! I tried combining my plastic diffuse with soap-box but soap-box gets in the way of subjects and blocks ambient light. Then I tried the paper-towel layers. It got better, but still got hot spots. So I tried more layers but at some point I felt the light starting to warm up the shots. Sure, in post-processing I could adjust temp, but it is not something I wanted to work on. So will try couple of sheets again or find a small soap-box! Cheers!
    edited June 25, 2014
    You're welcome.

I've recently started working with a custom WB of 5000k and I've found that the warm temp from the flash is somewhat less. I'm not having to adjust as many shots in post processing as I used to and when I do, it's a small adjustment. In fact, I've found on a few shots, I've been bringing a little bit of warmth back in.

As for hotspots, if you use Lightroom or similar, I tend to reduce highlights on the curves section by around 10 -15%. It just flattens the light enough to dull down some of the brighter areas without making the image completely flat. Again, this is only on a few images. Not all. :)

I've been saying for a few years that I need to build a more mobile diffuser that I can put in my kit bag but I never get round to it haha.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    Lovely captures Ian . Last fly is a soldier fly Beris sp. I think.
    Brian v.
    edited June 26, 2014
    Thank you Brian and again for the ID :)