Devil Macro

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited June 28, 2014 in Holy Macro
Hi there,
today I have used my first extension tube with a Helios. I am using this extension tube kind that extends as needed the lens (like having a zoom lens).
I am just wondering how things are changing in the way I have to photograph items.
Should I keep very open aperture to blur everything? What happens when I use the macro tume to zoom out (Extend) my lens closer to the item I want to shoot?

What the holy macro changes in the workflow?

Alex

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    If I understand correctly you have a helical extension tube that can extend ?
    The longer the extension is, the higher the magnification will be and the lower the depth of field.
    You will need to ensure you use higher shutter speeds than normal if you are handholding as increasing magnification also magnifies any camera motion.

Brian V.
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2014
    true.. but I also guess I would have to increase aperture considerably to keep at least some parts in focus.. or not?
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2014
    alaios wrote: »
    true.. but I also guess I would have to increase aperture considerably to keep at least some parts in focus.. or not?

Not sure what magnification you are going to get with the extension tube but yes it is common to use small apertures (high F-Number) to compensate for the lack of DOF eg F11 to F16 around 1:1 magnification is common. However there is also a balance between DOF and diffraction so using very small apertures will get you good DOF but soft looking photos because of diffraction.

Brian v.
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2014
    thanks for the info. I will try some shots I get that is the easiest way around!
    Alex