Options

baseball

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited July 15, 2014 in Sports
Is it possible to shot a pro baseball team with only Canon 7 D and a Canon 70-200 2.8?? :scratch:scratch

Thanks

Bounty
:photo

Comments

• Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2014
    Sure. You won't get much in the outfield, but with a 1.6x crop and 200mm max to work with, you can get the pitcher, the batter and at a minimum the action at all the bases except perhaps second base. That's a good part of the game.

All this is assuming you get to shoot from a photo location; all bets are off if you're shooting from the stands.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2014
    Thanks Im shooting little league in Vista California with all the parents around the fences, cars.....almost giving away the pictures for fun

http://www.bountyphotographie.com/Sport/Baseball-Vista

However I would like to shoot the Padres , san Diego for one game and am wondering if the "real Pro" will look at me funny if I got the opportunoty to actually shoot with them. I contacted a few pro sport photographer but they barely reply to my email when they do I dont get any details at all.
    I saw some pics of your website and really liked the sports pictures what kind of lens are you using?
    Thank you

Bounty
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2014
    If you can be in the photographer's well, or if your seats are in the first few rows around the infield, you'll get some usable shots. You probably won't get any tight "sportraits" of single players, but you'll get some shots with "context". Be ready to crop in post. If your seats are further up or out, forget it. The real pros shouldn't mind, unless you block them from getting their shots.

To give you an idea, this shot was taken at 420mm on full frame, on a full size field. I was positioned near the dugout, about even with first base.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2014
    Good shot.
    Never shot a pro baseball game and am hoping to be really close to the players.
    When I shoot little league Im on the field really close to the players...which sometimes is a bit scary but it beats shooting through the fence.
    BtW whats the deal with not being able to shoot on the field when parents actually want me there.
    last week the empire,directors,coaches allowed me to shoot on the field, then after one hour I was told to exit the field because I have my own website shooting for money??????????????? I was told its OK to shoot behind the fence but not on the field. It doesnt make sense at all. Some field dont care others are acting like its fort Knox .
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2014
    Good shot.
    Never shot a pro baseball game and am hoping to be really close to the players.

I don't know what the situation is with the Padres, but here in Red Sox Nation you would have to inherit a spot in the well from a photographer who got fired or died. And I'm pretty sure they don't allow fans in the stands to bring in lenses longer than like 6". Good luck, let us know how you do.
    When I shoot little league Im on the field really close to the players...which sometimes is a bit scary but it beats shooting through the fence.
    BtW whats the deal with not being able to shoot on the field when parents actually want me there.
    last week the empire,directors,coaches allowed me to shoot on the field, then after one hour I was told to exit the field because I have my own website shooting for money??????????????? I was told its OK to shoot behind the fence but not on the field. It doesnt make sense at all. Some field dont care others are acting like its fort Knox .

You need to take the high road and become the official league photographer if you want that kind of privileged access for profit, and you'll need to politely offer a kickba... err, sponsorship. I did it for 5 years, you can read all about it in my "Post Mortem" thread if you want. It was fun, but I wish I had realized a few things first about the business model. I took about 15,000 shots on the field next to first and third this season, you can see the keepers here.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2014
    Nice pictures

I don't know I'm just investigating I don't want to make any money I just want to shoot them once
    Kind of been there done that. Cant be worst than shooting little league as Ive been kicked out so many times out of the field after being allowed to shoot for 40 minutes then they changed their mind and told me not to take pictures anymore??????

ha ha ha

I don't know what the situation is with the Padres, but here in Red Sox Nation you would have to inherit a spot in the well from a photographer who got fired or died. And I'm pretty sure they don't allow fans in the stands to bring in lenses longer than like 6". Good luck, let us know how you do.

You need to take the high road and become the official league photographer if you want that kind of privileged access for profit, and you'll need to politely offer a kickba... err, sponsorship. I did it for 5 years, you can read all about it in my "Post Mortem" thread if you want. It was fun, but I wish I had realized a few things first about the business model. I took about 15,000 shots on the field next to first and third this season, you can see the keepers here.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2014
    Maybe you need to take the hint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jack

• Options
    edited June 30, 2014
    Thanks Im shooting little league in Vista California with all the parents around the fences, cars.....almost giving away the pictures for fun

http://www.bountyphotographie.com/Sport/Baseball-Vista

However I would like to shoot the Padres , san Diego for one game and am wondering if the "real Pro" will look at me funny if I got the opportunoty to actually shoot with them. I contacted a few pro sport photographer but they barely reply to my email when they do I dont get any details at all.
    I saw some pics of your website and really liked the sports pictures what kind of lens are you using?
    Thank you

Bounty

To get a spot in the MLB photographer wells you'll need to be sponsored by a major media outlet, or convince the media relations person at the Padres to let you in. The latter is very unlikely to be successful. There are serious limitations to shooting from any of the fans sections. I do it all the time at AT&T Park--usually right behind home plate--and almost every time someone comes over to check my media credential.

Pro sports shooters really have no pull, so about the only help they can give you is just what I said in my previous paragraph: find a media outlet that will sponsor you (or get front row seats, which still is not ideal). It might be possible to find a small local paper that can get you a credential. I once saw a woman with a point-and-shoot in the well. Thinking that maybe she had a friend in the office who did her a favor, I asked (very nicely) what she was doing. It turns out that she was shooting for a small local paper. I can't imagine she got anything beyond the netting and some blurred images of a field with people on it.

I shoot games with two bodies; one of which has a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the other with a 400mm f/2.8. That's the basic kit for most sports shooters.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2014
    :}}}}

Maybe you need to take the hint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2014
    jhefti wrote: »
    To get a spot in the MLB photographer wells you'll need to be sponsored by a major media outlet, or convince the media relations person at the Padres to let you in. The latter is very unlikely to be successful. There are serious limitations to shooting from any of the fans sections. I do it all the time at AT&T Park--usually right behind home plate--and almost every time someone comes over to check my media credential.

Pro sports shooters really have no pull, so about the only help they can give you is just what I said in my previous paragraph: find a media outlet that will sponsor you (or get front row seats, which still is not ideal). It might be possible to find a small local paper that can get you a credential. I once saw a woman with a point-and-shoot in the well. Thinking that maybe she had a friend in the office who did her a favor, I asked (very nicely) what she was doing. It turns out that she was shooting for a small local paper. I can't imagine she got anything beyond the netting and some blurred images of a field with people on it.

I shoot games with two bodies; one of which has a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the other with a 400mm f/2.8. That's the basic kit for most sports shooters.

Tough love I do work for small paper but can't imagine that they can do it.
    Love the story of the woman, just to show you that anything is possible

Thanks

bounty
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    I shoot minor league stuff and one day found the top of the dugout (not above the players, but leading back to the lockers) was an interesting position to shoot from... Not long after I had security telling me someone from upstairs called down and I couldn't shoot from where I was at (even with media credentials.) It was OK if I kneeled down on the stairs next to the dugout, but sitting on top of it was no good. They can be very strict at any level of play and you have to be ready for it.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    Bounty - you're going to run into issues with Little League and anywhere you are shooting as a private shooter rather than for media. One concern that drives this is liability. For example, in Ohio, for HS baseball and softball, media are only allowed on the field if there is actually a marked-off out-of-bounds area. And several years back they restricted access to only credentialed media (who happen to have liability from their employer). Then there's the issue of coaches or parents just not wanting a non-essential person on the field. Some of it is concern, some of it jealousy. But the bottom line is - you really are non-essential so all it takes is someone complaining for any reason and it's just easier to have you removed.

As Jack mentioned, having a relationship with the league is the best approach. That way coaches and parents are made aware of your affiliation and potential benefit to both teams. Your contract should also state that you are granted access to fields for all games. I recognize setting up this relationship and contract is probably more business work than you might be used to doing. But, it really is the business and relationship building that is the more important part of this.

As for a MLB game - ask your editor to request credentials. You never know. Outside of that, I would suggest buying good tickets just off the dugout on either baseline. The chances of getting a sponsorship to get a credential just to tick an item off your bucket list is rather remote. It's another situation of you need them (the media outlet) more than they need you.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2014
    Shooting baseball
    Thank you all for your comments.
    Ouch I think its too funny, the field where I shoot at is so relax and friendly then you have the other ones who are acting as the protectors of something. It only takes one person to spoil the fun.

Bounty
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2014
    It only takes one person to spoil the fun.
    So true. Remember though, it's about the kids' fun, not yours. If you are routinely being kicked out as you suggest, it really might be you that is doing the spoiling.
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    I don't know how it works in your area, but where I grew up (east TN), there were league meetings. These were the places to network, meet the heads, coaches and parents, as well as try to establish any new programs or protocols. Like others have suggested, I'd recommend attending some meetings and explaining your intentions. Heck, if they all know you're not looking for profit, they might start inviting you to the games specifically for photography coverage.

I don't know squat about shooting MLB stuff, so I have no input on that.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2014
    Thanks

Im the last person to do the spoiling as parents want me to take pictures.

Ok thanks everybody I dont want to get too many " personal" feedback that might end up in a fight like Ive seen too many times on dgrin

Bounty
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2014
    You might be. When I shoot LL, I shoot one game per team. If you're there at multiple games for the same team, shooting in foul territory, a number of people are grumbling about it, including coaches, you just don't know it. Because you're in play, and a distraction. If you're outside the fence, no big deal.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited July 3, 2014
    I hear you jmphotocraft, but again I asked the coaches and parents if its ok and 90 % of the time they dont mind at all.
    I asked a coworker who aslo shoot LL and was told that 100 % of the time he is not allowed on the field. He couldnt believe that I shoot 90 % of the time on the field. It make me think that I was actually really lucky and perhaps start shooting from behind the fence which I tried and didnt like it at all ;{{{{
    Now Im really worry about trying to shoot pros but I wont give up.
    Anyway I learn some from this thread thanks guy for your comments

Bounty

Bounty
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2014
    To photograph MLB you'll need to have media credentials to shoot in the camera wells and at a minimum need a 300mm f2.8L with an extender. A 400mm f2.8 works well or the new Canon 200mm-400mm with the built-in extender works the best. I've been fortunate to photograph two MLB games this year and had a blast!

You can view my MLB photos:
    http://chrisrodierphotography.smugmug.com/Sports/MLB/CardinalsatWashing/
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2014
    To begin with do you have insurance? You are putting yourself into potential problems.

Does the league have an official photographer? These guys usually have to pay a kickback to the league as well as have liability insurance. I would be ticked if I were the official photographer, had to pay my dues, and then some guy comes along and just gives pics away while getting inside the fence.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    To begin with do you have insurance? You are putting yourself into potential problems.

Does the league have an official photographer? These guys usually have to pay a kickback to the league as well as have liability insurance. I would be ticked if I were the official photographer, had to pay my dues, and then some guy comes along and just gives pics away while getting inside the fence.

I don't do any for-hire work in youth sports, but do you guys really have to pay kickbacks just to get a gig? Insurance, sure; I have it for my equipment and of course liability. But a kickback?! Are things really that desperate in the youth sports photography world?

On a related note, my daughter was playing this past week in the soccer nationals in Greensboro NC. While shooting the last game, a guy in a golf cart came up to me and asked if I was a parent. I was expecting him to kick me off the endline and make me go to the parents' section (unless I had a credential, which I didn't). However, he told me I was fine, but that he had the contract to shoot the games and just wanted to make sure I wasn't a competitor. I told him I hadn't even seen another pro shooter at the event, and he told me that they only shoot games by pre-arranged contract with each individual team. Evidently (and thankfully for me) the opposing teams we played didn't contract. However, he said it worked well--they got a lots of teams on board--and that it saved the shooters from the drudgery of trying to get each player of each team; and of course the feeling of putting out really bad shots because the parents don't care about anything other than getting a photo of their kids.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2014
    photodad1 wrote: »
    To photograph MLB you'll need to have media credentials to shoot in the camera wells and at a minimum need a 300mm f2.8L with an extender. A 400mm f2.8 works well or the new Canon 200mm-400mm with the built-in extender works the best. I've been fortunate to photograph two MLB games this year and had a blast!

You can view my MLB photos:
    http://chrisrodierphotography.smugmug.com/Sports/MLB/CardinalsatWashing/

You'll need the credential, but you could get a pretty nice take with just a 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 7D. A 300mm with extender on a 1.6 crop would actually not be useful for anything but the outfield. I find a 400mm on a FF body is about right, but a little tight on even a 1.3x crop body like the old Mark IV.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2014
    It depends on the league. I've long since abandoned youth or hs sports on a speck basis. Too much work and not enough return.
    I don't do any for-hire work in youth sports, but do you guys really have to pay kickbacks just to get a gig? Insurance, sure; I have it for my equipment and of course liability. But a kickback?! Are things really that desperate in the youth sports photography world?

On a related note, my daughter was playing this past week in the soccer nationals in Greensboro NC. While shooting the last game, a guy in a golf cart came up to me and asked if I was a parent. I was expecting him to kick me off the endline and make me go to the parents' section (unless I had a credential, which I didn't). However, he told me I was fine, but that he had the contract to shoot the games and just wanted to make sure I wasn't a competitor. I told him I hadn't even seen another pro shooter at the event, and he told me that they only shoot games by pre-arranged contract with each individual team. Evidently (and thankfully for me) the opposing teams we played didn't contract. However, he said it worked well--they got a lots of teams on board--and that it saved the shooters from the drudgery of trying to get each player of each team; and of course the feeling of putting out really bad shots because the parents don't care about anything other than getting a photo of their kids.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2014
    I don't do any for-hire work in youth sports, but do you guys really have to pay kickbacks just to get a gig?

Take this for what it's worth, but I was the official tog for my town's LL. They sent out a questionnaire to a handful of photographers as part of the RFQ, and one of the questions was would you offer a sponsorship. I offered 10% of net because it's my town and my kids' league. I'm happy to do it because I am the only one in the entire league other than the groundskeeper making any money off the league, everyone else volunteers a lot of time. There is even a board member/dad who mows the fields once in a while. So I don't blame them for expecting a little something for the privilege.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited July 15, 2014
    @jhefti - Why are you shocked that leagues want a piece of the action? Photographers need the league more than the league needs the photographer. This isn't media coverage. Why would you expect them do allow a private entity to profit off their league without them benefiting? Doesn't make any sense to me. There are a lot of expenses to cover and every little bit of $$ helps. It's not like people involved are pocketing the money (most of the time - there are always criminals here and there). This is not anything new.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2014
    johng wrote: »
    @jhefti - Why are you shocked that leagues want a piece of the action? Photographers need the league more than the league needs the photographer. This isn't media coverage. Why would you expect them do allow a private entity to profit off their league without them benefiting? Doesn't make any sense to me. There are a lot of expenses to cover and every little bit of $$ helps. It's not like people involved are pocketing the money (most of the time - there are always criminals here and there). This is not anything new.

Yeah, well...this isn't exactly a kickback, though economically I guess it's indistinguishable for the shooter. Sure, I can understand it as a fundraiser. And in fact this happens in other areas as well. A fellow shooter is the official photographer for the Junior Olympics and she is sharing some of her profits as well; sort of like youth sports shooting I guess in that it's mostly the athletes and their families that are buying.

I guess it makes sense. The only youth sports I shoot are my daughter's soccer teams and occasionally other high school teams at her school, all pro bono.