Options

Renaming files in Lightroom don't match online gallery

Rich3153Rich3153 Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
edited June 29, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I have been trying to get this working for some time but thought I would post here to check if there is a solution/fix/update.

I have several thousand images online and use the Publish option in LR5 to get the images online. I use the galleries to sell wedding photos from my business. I have recently renamed a wedding gallery containing 1400 images in LR5 but as usual the renamed files no longer correspond with those online.

This is causing me problems in identifying the photo that the newly married couple are looking at. I know I can re-publish the whole gallery but with a fairly slow connection it can take hours and hours for what seems a fairly simple step.

Are there any known solutions to renamed files not being renamed in Smugmug. I'm happy to take any suggestions for a workaround but it has to be simple and quick. I have a lot of wedding galleries online and the re-publish option, is not an option. LR5 is being used on a Mac.

Thanks
Rich

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    I believe this is only possible by republishing the photo (which causes it to be reuploaded). At least that was the case in late 2013:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1924828&postcount=4
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 29, 2014
    Rich,

Doing anything clever with filenames in the LR plugin is difficult for two reasons...

1. LR doesn't let me use the filename as a means to trigger republishing a file, like i can for things like Caption, Keywords, etc
    2. The filename can be changed during export using the custom rename functionality which I don't have access to programatically.

One option that I'd suggest, is to check out our "Events" feature (I see that you are on a Portfolio account, this feature is only available on a Business account, but you could sign up for another trial to test it out). This feature allows your clients to choose their favourites and you can sync those galleries back into LR as their own gallery to show quickly and easily your clients choices.

Lightroom-5-Catalog.lrcat---Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom---Library.png

I know it's probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it might work as a solution if you have lots of events/wedding/etc.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos