Options

Montana Bound

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited July 1, 2014 in Landscapes
Finally taking some time off for a road trip to Montana.

Captured this first image in eastern Washington. I have been trying for a decent shot of this solitary barn for years, finally captured it with a decent sky in the background.

IMG_4452-L.jpg

The weather has been a bit iffy, so after consulting the weather map I decided to cut through the corner of Idaho and head into Yellowstone. It's been a wet spring and I have never seen so many wild flowers here. This image was captured near the Blacktail lakes area as these storm clouds roll in over the Blacktail Plateau.

IMG_4516-L.jpg

Comments and critiques appreciated.
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    Both are lovely shots. I really like the barn. Yes, that is a great sky. Beautifully done.

Sherry P.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    Joyous! Brilliant!clap.gifthumb
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 29, 2014
    clap.gif

Good for you for fulfilling your vision. nod.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited June 30, 2014
    Love the first -- like the second. I'm having a problem with the "two skies" in the first. Roll the browser window down a bit to cover up the top clouds and see if that doesn't make the comp a bit simpler and make the amazing barn stand out more. Its a good thing you shot that wide and in landscape orientation because the fields stretching out far and wide makes the shot as much as that barn; dang good light on that too!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    slpollett wrote: »
    Both are lovely shots. I really like the barn. Yes, that is a great sky. Beautifully done.

Sherry P.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Joyous! Brilliant!clap.gifthumb
    kdog wrote: »
    clap.gif

Good for you for fulfilling your vision. nod.gifthumb.gif
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Love the first -- like the second. I'm having a problem with the "two skies" in the first. Roll the browser window down a bit to cover up the top clouds and see if that doesn't make the comp a bit simpler and make the amazing barn stand out more. Its a good thing you shot that wide and in landscape orientation because the fields stretching out far and wide makes the shot as much as that barn; dang good light on that too!

Thanks for the comments and the suggestions. These were quickly worked up on my laptop and the screen isn't calibrated. Now that I am home I'll have to work on them some more. The "two sky's" throws me a bit also but I didn't want a full blown Pano Image. I have a lot of field up front so I will rework that, I just don't want to loose the detail in the barn by placing it further back in the image.

Thanks again for the critique.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments and the suggestions. These were quickly worked up on my laptop and the screen isn't calibrated. Now that I am home I'll have to work on them some more. The "two sky's" throws me a bit also but I didn't want a full blown Pano Image. I have a lot of field up front so I will rework that, I just don't want to loose the detail in the barn by placing it further back in the image.

Thanks again for the critique.

I think David meant the blue-band running through the frame in first, kind of separating the top layer from cloud layer below. It is one of those things which will only show up in post because with naked eye it must be so beautiful to notice in any bands. One opportunity would be to zoom in and lose the top layer and you can get barn as is. Other would be to steal parts of clouds and make your own and stick some in the blue band to connect two layers. As I said above, this kind of scenery tugs at my heart! Cheers!