Mini Challenge Un-Official Rules

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited March 11, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everthing you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

The following is a thread by Sherstone (Sean) our fearless DGrin Challenge moderator:

Quoting Images

In an effort to enhance the original entries and keep the quoting looking cleaner some of you may have noticed that I have gone in and edited your replies with quoted images to have smaller versions of the pictures posted.

This does two things it keeps the entry thread cleaner, and identifies that the post is feedback vs. an entry. This makes it much easier to look at the original entries.

It is easy for anyone quoting to do the same thing themselves by editing the quote before posting.

if the original post has a picture like this
723661385_tuhyM-S-1.jpg

the url looks like this http://www.sherstone.com/Creative/Lo-Fi/LBOTW7-0434/723661385_tuhyM-S-1.jpg

to make it a smaller version just change the bold part S-1 or S to this

http://www.sherstone.com/Creative/Lo-Fi/LBOTW7-0434/723661385_tuhyM-200x200.jpg

that way the images will then look like this
723661385_tuhyM-200x200.jpg

Hopefully this makes sense and will make the thread easier to read.
HINT: use the "Preview Changes" button to make sure your edits worked.
(This will only work for pictures posted that are hosted on SmugMug)
Thanks for keeping us clean Sean!:thumb

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,939 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    IN the lighthouse mini, the previous winner said his photos did not count. Is that a rule - does the previous winner not enter the next mini?
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2015
    Where is Mini #208?

ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

deal.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 20, 2015
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Where is Mini #208?

ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

deal.gif

Don
    The winner was pm'd today just in case he forgot he entered and hasn't seen the announcement. I gave him till tomorrow (Sunday June 20 3pm pacific time) to post a challenge or it will default to the runner up. Thanks for your patience.thumb.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

@JAG:

I don't understand what the message is in this statement: 2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.

And how can I take the purple Announcement-sign into the headline?

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,813 Major grins

Hi Jørgen, it goes like this: you make a new thread (discussion?) and name it MIni-Challenge #254: (Your_Title) and then you pm Joyce and she will move it to the pinned area where it gets a purple "announcement" badge. At the end of the challenge you do the same with the "results" thread.

@sarasphotos said:
    Hi Jørgen, it goes like this: you make a new thread (discussion?) and name it MIni-Challenge #254: (Your_Title) and then you pm Joyce and she will move it to the pinned area where it gets a purple "announcement" badge. At the end of the challenge you do the same with the "results" thread.

Thank you so much, but what is "pm"?

pm = personal message
    you get to that by clicking on the person's profile and then on "Message" (upper right, in blue text)

@sarasphotos said:
    pm = personal message
    you get to that by clicking on the person's profile and then on "Message" (upper right, in blue text)

Thanks and OK. Does that mean that I use "Post Comment" on the new discussion (mini-challenge 254) as usual and then send a message to Joyce?

yes, exactly that

@sarasphotos said:
    yes, exactly that

Thanks a lot for your help. I have now posted #254 and hope everything is done well.

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

And i just realized i have 72 hours to post the new mini, thought it was only 48. Will have it up tomorrow afternoon.

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2021

I was feeling a little silly because I needed a refresher on how to set up the results for mini 314, so I came here.
    Thank goodness I did. As I read thru this thread, I giggled a little to myself... several times, then I realized, "This is exactly what I needed! Navigational Instructions for Forum Simpletons :p "
    Please do not purge this string!
    I hope to refer back to it again in the future. and probably tonight...a few times....

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,939 Major grins

I have PM'd JAG (Joyce) but I still don't have the thread pinned.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,940 moderator
    edited March 8, 2024

It's been almost a year since I was asked to become the moderator of the Challenge forums, and I greatly appreciate the way people have been pitching in to help keep things running smoothly. For those who may be new to the challenges, please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions.

Thank you,
    Gretchen

On March 15, 2023: > @Richard said:

@sapphire73 (Gretchen) has kindly agreed to become moderator of the Challenge forums. She is well known to most of you, I'm sure, but please help make her feel at home here.