Options

Licensing Feees

DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited July 4, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
Good afternoon: I have a client that would like for me to put together a 6 month contract to conduct 10 2 hour event shoots (with images to used on web and social media) in addition, She would also like 2 photo shoots of 10 products each) and a licensing fee for all images to be used within a 6 month time frame. I use photo quote as my software which came up with a reasonable quote. However, I researched other photographers and price guides . According to photoquote, 6 month licensing fee is between 8 and 16 k for a web, print, social media ect.

A.according to my research that quote appears to be for only one image. This client is requesting licensing for 20 images plus 500 for social media.

From you experts out there in DGrin. Can you help me out. I must mention that I know the Client. What would be a reasonable cost for all images to be licensed.

Reynaldo Williams
www.creativephotoimagesllc.com

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2014
    There are a lot of details left out here, but here are my thoughts based on what has been provided.

What kind of business is this and how large are they? Did you ask what their budget is? This is in my opinion the most important question to get settled before any other effort is put forth. Will this be on a national, international, or local scale? Will the printing involve small brochures or large posters?

When I say budget I mean a ball park figure. If say on first glance it looks like a three day job with assistants and you think a budget of 4K to 6k is reasonable you need to make sure the client doesn't think this is a half day job worth $500.00. Once you are both on the same page you can get into the finer details and see what the real price will be. If you start with a difference of 1000% you are never going to have a meeting of the minds or get the job.

Now as for the photo quote thing. I have not seen this work for smaller local businesses, only established commercial photographers and agency's.

Sam
  • Options
    DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2014
    Good morning Sam and thanks for the info:
    The company is a Vodka distributor ( small in size about 50,000. bottles annually) so they are consider small in nature. They will be using the 20 images for web, Social Media and small prints. They are national and in Singapore.

I did ask about their budget, however she did not provide me with one.

As far as my creative fee, I have already established it. Further research indicated to me that most photographers with a smaller scale companies will charge a minimum of 1500 per image licensing for a year. and will a certain percentage if the client is requesting print and electronic rights.

I do not believe that she has a large budget for what she is asking. I am however trying to come up with a reasonable price for her.

Reynaldo Williams
    www.creatovephotoimagesllc.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2014
    Davremdali wrote: »
    Good morning Sam and thanks for the info:
    The company is a Vodka distributor ( small in size about 50,000. bottles annually) so they are consider small in nature. They will be using the 20 images for web, Social Media and small prints. They are national and in Singapore.

I did ask about their budget, however she did not provide me with one.

As far as my creative fee, I have already established it. Further research indicated to me that most photographers with a smaller scale companies will charge a minimum of 1500 per image licensing for a year. and will a certain percentage if the client is requesting print and electronic rights.

I do not believe that she has a large budget for what she is asking. I am however trying to come up with a reasonable price for her.

Reynaldo Williams
    www.creatovephotoimagesllc.com

Reynaldo,

I am thinking that this is a new client and you have not built up a base line or relationship.

Is she OK with your creative fee? If so, you have one one foot in the door. :D

If I thought a potential client didn't have an adequate budget for the services they were seeking I would be concerned.

I will push, as nicely as I can, to get some kind of info on their budget, or number that will make them happy. I will explain that my goal is to provide my services within their budget and make them happy but need SOME idea of what that is to make sure we are both in the ball park. I will also explain I am not asking in order to extract the maximum amount but trying to make us both happy.

I will ask something like will $10,000.00, (assuming this is way more than the shoot will require) make you happy? Watch the eyeballs roll up in their head. :D Then maybe ask how about $1,000.00? (assuming this is way low).

The worst thing is to work diligently to prepare a detailed quote that you believe is reasonable, only to have the client go into traumatic shock and keel over. :D

Once you have quoted and lets say they were OK with your creative fee but not with the licensing fee you may be stuck. If you need to drop the license fee substantially to meet their budget and do so your future creditability will be shot.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Sam