Still Learning to Capture Hummingbirds

ComeVaiComeVai Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 15, 2014 in Wildlife
Well, I have all the equipment I need, now I just have to learn to effectively use it.
Here's a shot from last night. I used the Nikon D800e and 300mm f4 with 1.4 teleconverter.
I'm still not close enough, so it's forcing me to aggressively crop. I don't like doing that because then I have to over-compensate in post-processing in an attempt to regain clarity and sharpness. Here's the metadata:
ISO 1000
Aperture f5.6
Shutter 1/1000
Exposure Compensation -0.7
PP'd in LR5:
Exposure value +0.7
Contrast +15
Clarity +27
Sharpening +111
Luminance Smoothing +75

I did get rid of those distracting leaves in the background after this image was taken.
Comments, critique and suggestions all welcome.

Comments

• ComeVaiComeVai Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 14, 2014
    ComeVai wrote: »
    Well, I have all the equipment I need, now I just have to learn to effectively use it.
    Here's a shot from last night. I used the Nikon D800e and 300mm f4 with 1.4 teleconverter.
    I'm still not close enough, so it's forcing me to aggressively crop. I don't like doing that because then I have to over-compensate in post-processing in an attempt to regain clarity and sharpness. Here's the metadata:
    ISO 1000
    Aperture f5.6
    Shutter 1/1000
    Exposure Compensation -0.7
    PP'd in LR5:
    Exposure value +0.7
    Contrast +15
    Clarity +27
    Sharpening +111
    Luminance Smoothing +75

I did get rid of those distracting leaves in the background after this image was taken.
    Comments, critique and suggestions all welcome.

Heres' another one, same metadata as the first image:
  • Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2014
    You did a great job of capturing the bird! The background is a little distracting. Perhaps a different angle or direction might get a nicer background.
    edited July 14, 2014
    Hunter58 wrote: »
    You did a great job of capturing the bird! The background is a little distracting. Perhaps a different angle or direction might get a nicer background.

I couldn't agree more! As soon as I removed the leaves the bird never came back!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2014
    Couple of suggestions:

If you have some flexibility in positioning the feeder and your shooting spot, try to get a background
    that is as far away and as neutral (without large areas of different brightness/tone) as possible.
    This will create a very smooth bokeh...

Also, lighting is important of course, and I suggest keeping that distant background relatively dark and the
    subject more light (bright indirect light) - somewhat the reverse of what you've got going-on above.

Good luck and please post your progress!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited July 14, 2014
    Eric,
    Thanks, I'm already on it, will post my progress.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2014
    In addition to points already raised.

I've zero experience of hummer shots, but I wondered if you'd considered using extension tubes with the 300?

Also, using a D800, I'd have thought you'd have a fair bit of cropping potential (unlike me with a 10Mp cam) without having to compromise on IQ ... unless you're wanting to print very big?

Retaining a slightly wider view would also presumably increase your chances of capturing a Bif shot without the feeder in frame, too,I'd have thought?

pp