Sony 717 Help

BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited December 28, 2005 in Cameras
I am considering buy the Sony R1 but before I make my choice I would like to know, is my 717 compatable with sync cords? I know the R1 is and I really want to use this type of flash photography. Since I take alot of skateboarding photos, it would be handy to be at a different angle, say the side of a stair set, but have my flash in front of the stait set. Anyways, if anyone knows, please help me out!
Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 26, 2005
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Very good...thanks alot!
    edited December 27, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    Very good...thanks alot!

That's just one I had a link saved for. DO shop around, since thare's bound to be alternatives.
    My Smugmug
    edited December 27, 2005
    Alright, I appreciate all the help, but theres one more thing so I don't order all sorts of fittings. On the 717 there are 3 "plug ins" not counting the USB. There is one labeled "ACC" one A/V OUT (MONO) and another DC IN. Now this may sound noobish but I really want to make sure I get this right. I'm assuming this "ACC" port is the right one which would take a single pin/sub mini end of the sync cord. Correct?

Sony%20Cyber-shot%20DSC-F717%20sincro.JPG
    edited December 27, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    Alright, I appreciate all the help, but theres one more thing so I don't order all sorts of fittings. On the 717 there are 3 "plug ins" not counting the USB. There is one labeled "ACC" one A/V OUT (MONO) and another DC IN. Now this may sound noobish but I really want to make sure I get this right. I'm assuming this "ACC" port is the right one which would take a single pin/sub mini end of the sync cord. Correct?

No.

ACC OUT is the LANC protocol plug. That's for the Sony remote and the Sony flash units (both are proprietary items). A 3rd party flash unit can not be plugged in there. There is no PC cord connection on that camera. That's why I mentioned the PC sync connector for the hot shoe above.

Don't you have a manual for your camera?
    My Smugmug
    edited December 28, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    No.

ACC OUT is the LANC protocol plug. That's for the Sony remote and the Sony flash units (both are proprietary items). A 3rd party flash unit can not be plugged in there. There is no PC cord connection on that camera. That's why I mentioned the PC sync connector for the hot shoe above.

Don't you have a manual for your camera?

Could you explain this further then, how this connector works cause from what I read, the flash sits on top, the cord goes into the connector but the other goes into the sync port on the camera....it makes no sence to me.
    edited December 28, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    Could you explain this further then, how this connector works cause from what I read, the flash sits on top, the cord goes into the connector but the other goes into the sync port on the camera....it makes no sence to me.

You have two cords coming out of your flash? What flash are you trying to use?
    My Smugmug
    edited December 28, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    You have two cords coming out of your flash? What flash are you trying to use?

You lost me, this is making no sence at all anymore. Can you explain how this connector works because from what you said to what i read on the bhphoto site are completely different. The flash I have now is a Vivitar electronic flash 2000.
    edited December 28, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    You lost me, this is making no sence at all anymore. Can you explain how this connector works because from what you said to what i read on the bhphoto site are completely different. The flash I have now is a Vivitar electronic flash 2000.

I think I understand now why you asked if i had 2 cords....above a few posts i meant to say one end comes from the connecter and the other end goes to the camera sync port...one cord, not 2. my bad.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    With that adapter in the link, you put that in the hotshoe, plug a PC cord into the port on the side of the adapter and run the other end to your flash. The flash itself can still sit on the cold shoe of the adapter (no point in that) or wherever you'd like it to go (however long the PC cord you buy is). Does that help any? I can try to take a pic tonight of my setup if it would help.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited December 28, 2005
    Thank you, that makes alot more sence to me. Did you buy the same adapter as in the link? I would appreciate it if you could post up a picture of your setup. Thanks.