the restoration of my sister

livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
edited December 27, 2005 in People
on christmas, i noticed that the graduation pictures of us that mom has on her dining room wall have faded, some more than others. funny thing is, mine is the oldest, yet it has faded the least. i wonder if the techniques are that different since then. anyhow, this is my youngest sister, and the photo was taken about 35 years ago. mom wouldn't let me take them out of the frames, so i shot them through the glass in the frames, with the macro setting on my canon s2 is and then put them into PS CS2. this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, so any suggestions are welcome. i don't consider the after image finished, but it's late and i can't see anymore.

before:
49723632-L.jpg

after:
49723355-L.jpg
laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Laurie, that is very good!! Especially being as it was through glass.

I have never done that either.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    You did a great job through the glass and all.

Now, print this picture, show your mom and offer to put it in the frame.
    Then you'll have the original to try again without the glass reflecting off of it.
    As good as you did here, out of the glass, I know you would be able to
    keep the reflections down and do an even better job.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    davev wrote:
    You did a great job through the glass and all.

Now, print this picture, show your mom and offer to put it in the frame.
    Then you'll have the original to try again without the glass reflecting off of it.
    As good as you did here, out of the glass, I know you would be able to
    keep the reflections down and do an even better job.

thanks, dave, that's a great idea!

:):
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    That's a good job
    I've never unpacked all my photos since we moved 2.5 years ago. But I know the photos are fading, and especially my slides are fading. I remember Andy Williams telling the forum he was scanning in a lot of old family photos and it was quite a project.

Then I like to visit www.californiacoastline.org/. They were given, as a donation to the project, a whole bunch of slides taken over the years. They explain how they scanned in the slides and what software they used for color restoration, so at least I have a place to start for the slides I want to keep.

I noticed when I visited my daughter that some of my digital prints have faded, so so much for colorfastness of inkjet dyes!

Once you have some good digital files of these photos hopefully they will last longer than the prints.

I have some old photo prints that are probably over 100 years old, and they still look fine, so I guess black and white does last longer than color.

That's a nice job on the restoration, and maybe your mom will relent and let you finish the job.