Reflectors working distance

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited August 20, 2014 in Technique
Hi,
I would like to try some shots
1.exposed at direct sun
2. at very bright locations
(going to Greece for vacations).

How close should reflector be (which would be your starting point) to the face to light it up when backlight from sun?
A typical problem I have with reflectors is that I do not understand how much "light" subject needs and pretty much I end by giving red eyes to my subjects :p

any ideas?
Alex

Comments

• arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2014
    Depends on the reflector's surface and all kinds of other variables. In the end, it's about 'seeing the light' which is important in all photography. There is no right answer.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 22, 2014
    Don't blind your subjects. No one wants photographs of folks with their eyes squeezed shut, and reflectors can be uncomfortable for subjects as you have noted. Kinder, gentler softer light is what you want, I think.

A scrim above or beside your subject and the sun, can be quite useful in harsh sunlight to soften and diffuse it. Think nylon scrim or even old white bed sheeting to diffuse the light. Much more comfortable than a reflector glaring bright sunlight into your subjects eyes.

California Sun Bounce (a German firm actually) offers a nice 2 foot by 3 foot reflector with a bar to mount an off camera flash directed at the reflector. It is a nice, portable broad fill light tool and more comfortable for the subject than just mirroring sunlight into their faces.

I use reflectors too from time to time, but find them more useful when there is a bit of clouds in the sky, reflecting direct sunlight is too much like a solar generator with your friend at ground zero, unless you are very careful.

Scrims can be quite useful in harsh light. You can even make a light tent out of scrim material.

I use reflectors for lighting inanimate objects more often, as they are not distressed by the brightness like people are.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 20, 2014
    The answer to "how much" is similar to a flash. The closer you are to the reflection, the more light there will be. On a bright sunny day, move the reflector back. On an overcast day, move it closer. The goal should be to have a well lit photograph but not so well lit your subject looks unnatural.

A translucent filter will help cut down the sun. Silver has a kind of "flash" look and gold, warming. I try to avoid silver because it can make your subject look "cold"-solid white or gold are almost always "better".
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 20, 2014
    Another tip I would suggest is to identify the light circle you are reflecting at the subject with your reflector, and try to use the edge of the circle to just brush in some light, rather than trying to fry the subject with the center of your circle of reflected light.

If one wants to use reflectors, they need to have some reflectors shined at themselves to experience just how bright they can be is used improperly. As I said, for inanimate subjects this is not such an issue, but for people, it is best to use a light - "lite" - touch with a large reflector.

Even a white bath towel can add fill light if used close to the subject, and it is a nice soft light source that is not so hot and overpowering.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin