Formal Portrait?

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited August 2, 2014 in Wildlife
Somehow this looks like a formal portrait, at least that is what I am trying to tell my camera club members for one of the items on our 2015 Scavenger Hunt. :rofl

20140801%20Deer-1066-2%20levels%20v2-X2.jpg
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    Not so sure about formal portrait, I don't think they stick theirs tongues out for those. Very nice shot.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    Just awesome!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    Beautiful subject and capture - wonderful light!
    I say yes to portrait! Ask the shooters in the People forum, if their subjects ever stick their tongues out... nod.gif:D

Maybe burn the foreground a bit.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    Hunter58 wrote: »
    Not so sure about formal portrait, I don't think they stick theirs tongues out for those. Very nice shot.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Just awesome!
    Earache wrote: »
    Beautiful subject and capture - wonderful light!
    I say yes to portrait! Ask the shooters in the People forum, if their subjects ever stick their tongues out... nod.gif:D

Maybe burn the foreground a bit.

Thanks much. This one was fun! I agree that I should burn the foreground. I am trying to limit that type of post processing, because PSA and others have made nature photography criteria little more strict. Although I am not sure how they are going to enforce the new guidelines.

Burning and dodging is allowed though, so I will adjust the foreground.

Part of the new nature guidelines by PSA starting Jan 1, 2015. "No techniques that add, relocate, replace, or remove pictorial elements except by cropping are permitted. Techniques that enhance the presentation of the photograph without changing the nature story or the pictorial content, or without altering the content of the original scene, are permitted including HDR, focus stacking and dodging/burning. Techniques that remove elements added by the camera, such as dust spots, digital noise, and film scratches, are allowed. Stitched images are not permitted. All allowed adjustments must appear natural."

To me that is inconsistent - you can focus stack but not stitch.

Phil
    Phil
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    I reduced green luminance to reduce foreground brightness and cloned out branch in lower right corner and behind head to right- both branch removals will be contrary to PSA new upcoming guidelines.

I left the foreground somewhat bright because I think that; the tree to the right; and leaf in upper left form a natural frame.

Anyway, here it is with changes:

20140801%20Deer-1066-2%20levels%20reduce%20green%20lum%20clone%20branches-X2.jpg
    Phil