Options

US vs UK Labs (paper)

hojphotographyhojphotography Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 11, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
A curious (and annoying) thing I've come across during my research of different labs is that in the US Kodak Endura seems to be the paper of choice there and Fuji Crystal Archive paper in the UK. Personnally I prefer Kodak Endura as it reminds me of the Ilfochrome paper I used to print on when I worked in a pro lab here in Ireland handprinting from slides (transpariencies) in the darkroom over 10 years ago. It has an almost plastic thickness to it, and according to (debatable) reports it lasts longer and is a better paper than Fuji.
My main point though with this is down to shipping charges. At the moment I'm just using Bay Photo in Calif. which while it ships all the products all around the world its a bit hard to market it here if the shipping costs twice the product or more and can take up to 3 weeks.
The main reason I dodnt use Loxley Colour is the fact the use a different paper that I woudnt be particularly keen to sell to potential customers, as well as the fact they cant be ordered framed, or they also dont have Giclée Canvas or Watercolour prints.
I know Smugmug cant dictate what each lab produces but perhaps if there were other labs or even Loxley themselves that we could at least have the same type of paper across the board, and dont even get me started on Australia. They do have labs as well yknow.
Joseph

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    If you'd like to see a particular lab added, you could add it as a suggestion to this suggestion on the SmugMug feedback page. It's not just for an Australian lab, but a combined suggestion for any new labs you'd like to see. That'll help us to keep track of all the lab wishes out there.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero