What will be new in "Smugmug Uploader 2" for OS X?

Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited April 15, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Looking at Star Explorer for Windows, Smugmug uploader for Mac really is lacking. If you use iPhoto it's great, except it can't create galleries. For those of us who are now using Aperture, a really excellent feature would be upload Aperture albums with embedded keywords and other info to help save time on post uploading work (adding keywords, descriptions etc). A really excellent idea would be to mimic the Aperture folder/project or keyword structure for auto recommending placing in correct gallery on Smugmug.
My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    Looking at Star Explorer for Windows, Smugmug uploader for Mac really is lacking. If you use iPhoto it's great, except it can't create galleries. For those of us who are now using Aperture, a really excellent feature would be upload Aperture albums with embedded keywords and other info to help save time on post uploading work (adding keywords, descriptions etc). A really excellent idea would be to mimic the Aperture folder/project or keyword structure for auto recommending placing in correct gallery on Smugmug.

We've been testing it for a while. I'll ask Ben, our Product Manager to comment. Standby....
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 28, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:

The new uploader has a much nicer UI for one... everyone who has used it says it is much easier to upload either files or albums. It supports choosing comments or titles when uploading (though only in the latest iPhoto versions). You can create galleries inside the uploader (instead of going to the page to do so). Real status bars to show you the progress of both file and overall process.

Those are the biggies I can think of offhand, I am sure a few smaller things are in there too (and some things you guys won't notice that will make our job easier).

Obviously we would love to have great support for Aperture, etc... but at this point in the dev process (and given some of the delays we have had to put our poor developer through from our side), we do not want to delay the launch of this particular version. We are going to work on wrapping up the loose ends on this one and get it out the door when possible.

After that, we can start looking at the next step.
    Smug since 2003
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    The new uploader has a much nicer UI for one...

Sounds cool. Right now I'm using PictureSync, and the one thing that I would like that's missing from that and hope to see in your uploader is the ability to upload to multiple albums at the same time...to set the destination on an image by image basis.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sounds cool. Right now I'm using PictureSync, and the one thing that I would like that's missing from that and hope to see in your uploader is the ability to upload to multiple albums at the same time...to set the destination on an image by image basis.

We won't have that for the file side of things, but if I remember correctly, you can upload multiple albums at once to different locations.
    Smug since 2003
    edited December 28, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    We won't have that for the file side of things, but if I remember correctly, you can upload multiple albums at once to different locations.

I'm looking for a non-iPhoto solution. Still excited to see it, though. Need a beta tester? mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm looking for a non-iPhoto solution. Still excited to see it, though. Need a beta tester? mwink.gif

Ditto. (Though I'd probably use iPhoto some too, as I've been playing with the latest version.) I'd be happy to beat on a beta for a bit.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Will it be held back until iPhoto 6 debuts for some final testing? I think we can wait a few more weeks to have that done. Also will future versions be more frequent from now on?
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    --Stephen King
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Is PictureSync secure to use since you have to give them your username/password? Im a little hesitant to give 3rd party developers my goodies. Just paranoid I guess since its not officially supported by Smugmug. Or is it??

But, it looks like a great app.
    edited December 30, 2005
    Just paranoid I guess since its not officially supported by Smugmug. Or is it??

http://www.smugmug.com/hack/hacks-apps

We don't support it, the developer does. It's a 3rd party app, a handy photo uploader for Mac OS X, integrates with iPhoto, iView MediaPro, and others using the XML-RPC API to allow easy upload to smugmug.
    edited December 31, 2005
    Is PictureSync secure to use since you have to give them your username/password? Im a little hesitant to give 3rd party developers my goodies. Just paranoid I guess since its not officially supported by Smugmug. Or is it??

But, it looks like a great app.

What are they gonna do with your smugmug username and password? I mean, like they give a hoot about my measly little site? You know what I mean? It's not like my social security number. I never even thought about it, just used the app and have had no probs.

Anyway, I've been using it for a while, and while it's not the feature laden behemoth that Star*Explorer is, it works well, it works on a Mac, and it's got some nice features. It seems to be zippy enough and stable.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Are there any other Mac Smugmug uploaders and smugmug managers?
    --Stephen King
    edited December 31, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    Are there any other Mac Smugmug uploaders and smugmug managers?

Look at, and read up on our hacks page:

http://www.smugmug.com/hack/hacks-apps

Hope this helps!
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Hey Ben, any update on the new version? I've just today stumbled over an annoyance with the current version, that I'm hoping y'all have fixed in the new version. Would love to see even a beta on this.

ETA: neglected to mention what the annoyance was... if you use it to upload just one image, it seems to not close the file when it's done, preventing your CF from being ejected, or preventing you from saving a new version of the file (like with exif information put back 'cause you're an idiot and used "save for web" instead of "save as" for a photo challenge entry... or something like that. :)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/