How Smugmug (and dGrin) saved my Christmas

galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited December 28, 2005 in People
So I thought I should post this, because Smugmug and dGrin helped me out a ton this Christmas. It wasn't the simple order some nice pictures for the family... this was a project.

It all started with an idea: Scan some slides. My parents have a whole bunch of slides spanning from the 1950s to the 1980s. My mom has always wanted to have them made digital so that she could look at them from time to time. I looked into some services, but they were pretty expensive.. I thought I could do it cheaper (and maybe even better) on my own.

So I started by posting a thread here about slide scanners. I got several good recommedations for the KonicaMinolta Dimage Scan Dual IV. There was even a heated discussion about the buy-use-and-return system. (I didn't do that). So, off to B&H I went. The person working in the slide scanner seconded (or fifth) that opinion, so I picked it up.

Now came the fun part... For several weeks, I scanned slides. 4 at a time. Over 2,000 scanned in the end. I didn't just scan them, however. I used ACDsee to enter the EXIF date for each and every one of them based on what was printed on the slide. I also added an IPTC keyword for everyone I recognized.

I could have just burned them on DVD and handed them over, but I had grander plans... enter smugmug. So onethumb announces that prices are rising. This inspired me to upgrade to a power account now so I could build a custom theme.

I used dgrin to read through some prior posts on customizing, and asked some questions of my own. Now I had a custom theme for these pages. I think the final product came out pretty nice! One of my aunts even signed up for smugmug and has started poting old pictures that she started scanning.

All of my relatives have been thrilled looking through the old slides.. they've had a blast. My original intention was to sell the scanner (here in the flea market), but I've gotten several requests to borrow it, so the flea market will have to wait!

So that my parents would have something to open, I did burn all the images to DVD. I even picked up a Lightscribe DVD... What cool technology. It lets you burn an image on the label of the DVD. Pretty cool... I used ADCsee's photoslate to create a collage of some of the images that I used on the DVD cover, the DVD itself and the background in the smugmug theme. It came out pretty nice.

Basically, I wanted to say thanks to everyone here who helped me out. It was a great hit.

If anyone wants to see the end result, here is the link : http://galla47.smugmug.com/GallagherZegers

-KG

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    clap.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif

Great job. Super customization! You did a super job, keywording, and linking, and making it fun for them to find themselves. Just beautiful.

And I know from where you are coming! My first exposure to SmugMug was nearly three years ago, when I did the very same type of project.

http://williams.smugmug.com/share/7mc8b8k9QLsR6

And here's a post I made on another forum (before Dgrin was born) about my family's experience...
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Cool story, great site. I like how you can search for specific people. Great job!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    wow, that is a LOT of work! congratulations. i was thinking of doing that with some of our old photos, but nothing on the scale you chose. i put together a slide show on my mac on IDVD and added some music, which was fun.....

isn't this a great source? i just love it.

thumb.gif
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Are you done with the scanner? I have some slides I want to scan, but would love to buy yours, scan them and then sell it...we could really send that scanner round the dgrin forum!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you done with the scanner? I have some slides I want to scan, but would love to buy yours, scan them and then sell it...we could really send that scanner round the dgrin forum!

I'm probably going to need to hang on to it for a little while longer. Some of my other family members want me to scan some more. Hopefully soon, though! Then we can send it 'round the forum...

-KG
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    What a great gift to your family! I love seeing all the old pictures. Good show!