Options

Customize "DISCARD CHANGES" only works for changes from the current session

phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited September 3, 2014 in Bug Reporting
If i go to CUSTOMIZE and make some changes, then exit customize-mode using "Save changes for later" i can not undo these changes when i'm back in customize mode. "DISCARD CHANGES" on exit will only revert changes from the current customize session, not from any previous session.

This is especially totally annoying if you want to switch between different pages (with "Save for later") and don't want your changes to go live until all pages are customized. If you decide to redo all changes you can't!

This will bring back an old feature request looking for methods to switch between pages without leaving customize mode.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    This really isn't a bug, so much as it's just a different way of working than it currently does. I'd suggest adding these comments to our Feedback page, so it gets more visibility:
    http://feedback.smugmug.com

I think your points are valid - so please add them to the above page.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2014
    I'll have a look to the feedback page, but "DISCARD CHANGES" suggests that all changes made will be dropped which is not true.
    Thx for the reply.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2014
    Actually, from my understanding the save for later and discard changes works exactly as intended. You use discard changes to back out of any changes you've made in the current session or to properly exit the customize site screen if you did not intend to make any change.
    If you wish to revert changes you've "saved for later", there's an intended way to do that via the revert arrow next to the current section you're customizing:
    20140903164619-00938x1916246.jpg
    That'll give you the option to revert to the published state or the original site design the current section you're customizing.

The discard changes feature is crucial for us Heroes as that allows us to check on any customer's site, test out things and then have a clean way to back out without messing with any changes the customer may have saved for later.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2014
    Actually, from my understanding the save for later and discard changes works exactly as intended.

If i select "Discard changes" i would expect to revert all changes i made to the published design. Even changes i made earlier that have saved for later are "changes".

Of course you can use the "revert" button as shown on your screenshot... please try to do that for a dozen of pages that you cannot select/jump on when in customize mode:
    You have to open page1, go to customize, select revert, done... open page2, go to customize, select revert... or you must type in the correct URL to the address bar of your browser to jump between pages without exit customize mode. Not that easy if you do not know all URLs.

The revert button is ok for a single page, or all folders/galleries/home/entire-site section. If you have made many changes to various custom pages/galleries/folders a "Discard all changes" or "Revert to published state" (or whatever you call it) would be much easier for someone who want to update his current design without choosing a completely new one.
    Or maybe allow users to copy a design so people can keep the published design and work on a copy to test out changes and choose the copy later to be the default one.

Anyway... i'm now aware of that issue and this thread can be closed (btw... i just deleted my feedback on feedback.smugmug.com, was on "Awaiting moderator approval" for over a week.)