Options

Erica's AWESOME MonoKini

2»

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2014
    ^^^^this

I'll add that if it's the Taj Mahal or Gtand Canyon or Versailles, that maybe there's a case for clear background details. Suburban yards/parks, and miscellania, not so much.....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2014
    Here, I'm going to give you some FUN homework...

This is a NSFW link to Playboy Centerfold models from 1970 to 1979. To me, this era was the "golden age" of Playboy photography and most all of these images would have been just as strong if the model were wearing clothes.

And, keep in mind, these guy's didn't have photoshop!

http://erotixx.wordpress.com/the-pinup-collection/playboy-centerfolds/playboy-centerfolds-from-1970-1979/

Some of the images have the background well out of the plane of focus, some have the background slightly out of the plane of focus and in some, the background is in complete focus. But, in every case the background works to accent/showcase the model, the mood, and overall feeling of the image. In other words, the background has a purpose and contributes to the image and in no cases does it detract.

Personally, I think what keeps your images from being spectacular, instead of very nice, is your selection and use of backgrounds.

That's my two cents and I get out quite a bit! :D
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2014
    Thanks Bryce. Will take a look (even though it's NSFW - Laughing.gif)
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2014
    I think the only way one could blur the background in this setting of a small pool is put yourself in the bushes and the model at the edge of the pool. Otherwise, you've got the model just 3 or 4 feet in front of the background and you're either shooting her from across the pool with a telephoto lens or at the edge (or even in the pool) shooting her with a wide lens at close range. The easiest way to blur a background is put it far from your subject. Alternatively, you can use a homogeneous, non-distracting background such as sand or water and shoot down on the subject for a different effect. In that case, it is particularly important to have a strong contrast between subject and background.
  • Options
    amitgamitg Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2014
    I really like 1 because of eyes.. And the way that she is leaning left just a bit. It grabs your attention instantly. Do you usually use camera's "center focusing point" Only and point it over eyes ?
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2014
    #1 is my favorite aslo. Thanks.

I rarely use the center point AF spot. 90% of the time I shoot in portrait mode so I'm usually somewhere in the upper quadrant.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2014
    #2 is very good