Alessandra in Sea Cliff

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited January 3, 2006 in People
this is my second shoot with the beautiful alessandra. she was extremely happy with the last shoot and eager to shoot again. this time we went to two new locations and i absolutely loved them. we had a very overcast day, absolutely great light. this might be my favorite shoot yet. this is my favorite of the set so far, please tell me what you think. i'll be posting much more soon!

49873346-M.jpg

thanks!

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Overcast is so good. I love it myself!

Good photo! Looks like it was a good shoot.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    I think the negative space look would work better if you cropped in closer around her. Maybe just below the shoulder? Just keep the same format and you'll still get plenty of water/empty space to the right.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    I think the negative space look would work better if you cropped in closer around her. Maybe just below the shoulder? Just keep the same format and you'll still get plenty of water/empty space to the right.

thanks, i'll try that.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    this is my second shoot with the beautiful alessandra. she was extremely happy with the last shoot and eager to shoot again. this time we went to two new locations and i absolutely loved them. we had a very overcast day, absolutely great light. this might be my favorite shoot yet. this is my favorite of the set so far, please tell me what you think. i'll be posting much more soon!

49873346-M.jpg

thanks!

... might just be me, but is it a bit green?

(in the shadows on her face)

(... says the man with the uncalibrated display...)
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    I agree, the whole picture is a bit yellow/green.

alessandra-vi.jpg
    Before -> After

I may have gone a bit too far to the other side but you can see the difference.
    edited December 29, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    I agree, the whole picture is a bit yellow/green.

alessandra-vi.jpg
    Before -> After

I may have gone a bit too far to the other side but you can see the difference.

*laugh* looks like my pink Colleen the first time I posted her up.

That's a great way to show the difference though. It really pulls it out when compared.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited December 29, 2005
    i think it might be a little on the green side. i was kinda hoping someone would comment on that because i thought i might be crazy.

owen, i think the version posted is a little too red/magenta for me, but otherwise that might work better. i'm gonna go back and give that another shot. btw, the water was greenish, however she was not. i'll fix it.

thanks for your help!
    edited December 29, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i think it might be a little on the green side. i was kinda hoping someone would comment on that because i thought i might be crazy.

owen, i think the version posted is a little too red/magenta for me, but otherwise that might work better. i'm gonna go back and give that another shot. btw, the water was greenish, however she was not. i'll fix it.

thanks for your help!

ehehe. We're like one big colour calibrator :-P
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited December 29, 2005
    how about this? maybe?

50090531-M.jpg
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Hey Barry. I like your last version. I know the water in Sea Cliff is definately not blue this time of year. The model doesn't look too happy.I am sure that is the look you were after. I would love to see more from the shoot.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    I think Owen's version has a bit too much magenta in it also. Your last version looks good to me.

Erich
    edited December 30, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    The model doesn't look too happy.I am sure that is the look you were after. I would love to see more from the shoot.

she used to not smile at all for pictures, she thought she looked stupid in pictures when she smiled, but now i can squeeze some out of her. sometimes i do like getting that mean attitude out of the girls.

if you read my blog you'll see a link to her temporary gallery. (just click the picture of her)
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Baryy I checked out the temp gallery. Great stuff. I bet if you used a bit a flash they would be even better but even without I really liked the pics.
    edited December 31, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Baryy I checked out the temp gallery. Great stuff. I bet if you used a bit a flash they would be even better but even without I really liked the pics.

perhaps. i think the real problem is that i just underexposed everything. a lot of photoshopping to do. . .
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    You like this at all?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited December 31, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You like this at all?
    i like the idea, i think you may have gone a little too far with it, it doesn't look totally real, but that's definitely something i will try. thanks!

i'm working on the rest of her set right now, about ten new ones are up now here.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i like the idea, i think you may have gone a little too far with it, it doesn't look totally real, but that's definitely something i will try. thanks!

i'm working on the rest of her set right now, about ten new ones are up now here.

Yeah, pretty quick and dirty on a small image...

I tried something inspired by Dan Margulis' LAB book. It's actually a part where he talks about RGB being better for some things.

In this case I duped the layer and applied the Red channel in multiply. It deepened the contrast in the surf. Then I masked her out, and applied a little curves work on just her to give her a touch more contrast.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Hi, binghott
    I like this photo and woild like to see some with her bangs down.
    Did you protect your camera from the salt water?

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited January 3, 2006
    Hi, binghott
    I like this photo and woild like to see some with her bangs down.
    Did you protect your camera from the salt water?

thanks. there's a bunch more shots of her in this thread.
    i wasn't protecting the camera from the salt water, i wasn't that close to the water, maybe 10 feet away.