B&W to Colour ?

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited December 29, 2005 in Finishing School
How to do that i have seen some restored movies and also heard about pictures
can it be done in photoshop CS 8 ?:scratch
thanks
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• macaddictmacaddict Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    This is my first attempt at colorizing a black and white photograph in Photoshop. It took a couple of hours, but I am happy with the way it turned out. I found a 48-star U.S. flag on the Internet and used it for a background. Believe it or not, I mapped my skin color from a photo of me over Dad's face!
    Specifics: Open your B&W and a color photo. Duplicate your B&W background on its own layer (CMD+J) On the color photo make a selection around the desired skin tone. Back to the B&W. Choose Image>Adjustments>Match Color. You'll have the option of choosing your selection from the color photo. Adjust to your liking. Add a layer mask, clean it up and repeat with more layers and target colors. It takes a while, but it works!
    51135811_718646485f.jpg
    Here's my brothers and sister way before I made my appearance!
    53105188_7669c8badc.jpg

Dave
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    thumb.gif Thank you very much you did great job with those photos ! i will try your method
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    macaddict wrote:
    This is my first attempt at colorizing a black and white photograph in Photoshop. It took a couple of hours, but I am happy with the way it turned out. I found a 48-star U.S. flag on the Internet and used it for a background. Believe it or not, I mapped my skin color from a photo of me over Dad's face!
    Specifics: Open your B&W and a color photo. Duplicate your B&W background on its own layer (CMD+J) On the color photo make a selection around the desired skin tone. Back to the B&W. Choose Image>Adjustments>Match Color. You'll have the option of choosing your selection from the color photo. Adjust to your liking. Add a layer mask, clean it up and repeat with more layers and target colors. It takes a while, but it works!
    Dave

Since you're already going to the trouble of making masks for each area, and you have a color image for your source tones, you might want to explore the power of gradient maps to capture the shifts in hue and saturation as you move from highlights to shadows. A single color can't really shake a BW image free from it's grayscale roots, particularly in the shadows. A gradient can incorporate the unique tones in all areas of the spectrum and they can then be position withing the specific image to maximize detail. They have the added advantage of being fully editable themselves, or responding to a curve adjustment layer as if they were pure pixel information, so they can be fine-tuned quite effectively.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski