Options

Gallery Style not showing up correctly?

zubenelgenubizubenelgenubi Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited October 6, 2014 in Bug Reporting
Hello,

I just noticed an odd behavior in my New Smugmug site at zubenelgenubi.smugmug.com. I have set my default gallery style to be "Collage Landscape", and most of my galleries are set to display this way. However, I noticed just now that for a sample of galleries that I checked, when I go into Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance, the gallery style is listed as being "Smugmug", and not "Collage Landscape". This is obviously incorrect, as the gallery actually displays in the Collage Landscape style. Also, if I choose instead to go to Customize->Gallery Style, the current style is correctly identified as "Collage Landscape". So the behavior I'm seeing looks to me like a bug.

- Mark

Comments

• Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 5, 2014
    Hi Mark

Could you please send us a link to a gallery, where you can see this behaviour?
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2014
    Here is an example:

http://zubenelgenubi.smugmug.com/MostlyLandscapes-1/CalvertsBeach

I just checked this a couple of minutes ago, and it's still showing the behavior I mentioned. I think probably all my galleries are doing it. It's not serious, but it could be confusing.

- Mark
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Hi Mark

Could you please send us a link to a gallery, where you can see this behaviour?
  • Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 6, 2014
    Hi Mark,

I can see what you mean now. You are overriding your gallery style settings by using the CUSTOMIZE menu - where your gallery style is set correctly - please see my screenshot:

http://take.ms/xuhTS

The gallery style settings is always overridden by the style settings from the CUSTOMIZE menu.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2014
    Tom,

Thanks for this... though I still don't quite understand. I'm not quite sure when the behavior I'm seeing started, since I only just noticed it. But at least until a few weeks ago, most or all my galleries were set to "Collage Landscape" both in Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance and in Customize->Gallery Style. You correctly noted that Customize->Gallery Style still shows them as being set to "Collage Landscape". But now when I look at Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance that screen shows them as "Smugmug" style. Your explanation that the former overrides the latter explains why they still display the way I want them to. But I am 100% sure I didn't intentionally do anything that would have changed all the Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance settings to "Smugmug". I tinker around quite a bit with my site, most recently to add the "Blog" gallery to my home page. Perhaps I inadvertently did something to cause this change, but I can't imagine what? It would have to have been something with global scope (i.e. affecting all my galleries at once), because I see that the change has been applied even to galleries that I haven't visited for months. Personally I don't think it's likely I did somehow make a change that affected every gallery; it seems more likely to me that some change occurred that was not caused by me.

In any case, while it doesn't cause my galleries to display incorrectly, it is annoying. So if it is the result of a bug, it would be good to see it fixed, lest it end up confusing or upsetting other users.

Thanks,

- Mark
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

I can see what you mean now. You are overriding your gallery style settings by using the CUSTOMIZE menu - where your gallery style is set correctly - please see my screenshot:

http://take.ms/xuhTS

The gallery style settings is always overridden by the style settings from the CUSTOMIZE menu.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2014
    The Customize Gallery style at the top of the page always shows Smugmug style as default. The word "default" is just there. AFAIK it doesn't mean anything. The part that would be most useful is if that dropdown list of styles showed what you have your gallery set to, such as a different color, or in bold.

Basically just ignore that "default" appears to be tied to "Smugmug" style.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited September 7, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    The Customize Gallery style at the top of the page always shows Smugmug style as default. The word "default" is just there. AFAIK it doesn't mean anything. The part that would be most useful is if that dropdown list of styles showed what you have your gallery set to, such as a different color, or in bold.

Basically just ignore that "default" appears to be tied to "Smugmug" style.
    That's probably because you have your galleries set to SmugMug style.

The Customize Gallery style at the top of the page shows the style the gallery is set to for me - on galleries where I have not explicitly set a style it shows my default of "collage landscape". For galleries on which I have overridden the default it shows the style to which the gallery was explicitly set.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    That's probably because you have your galleries set to SmugMug style.

The Customize Gallery style at the top of the page shows the style the gallery is set to for me - on galleries where I have not explicitly set a style it shows my default of "collage landscape". For galleries on which I have overridden the default it shows the style to which the gallery was explicitly set.

--- Denise

I'm not quite following, Denise. Even where I have galleries set (via Gallery Settings) to something else, e.g., Collage Portrait, when viewing the gallery, at the top of the page it says Smugmug Style (default), and there is no indicator in the list, that I'm aware of, that would tell me the gallery is set to Collage Portrait.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    Not sure what others are doing, but in my case I am moderately certain that the behavior of my galleries has CHANGED RECENTLY - and not as a result of anything I am aware of doing. Of course it is quite possible that I'm misremembering how they behaved before, but I'd estimate the chances of that are less than 20%.

Previously, my recollection is that both Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance and Customize->Gallery Style behaved as I expected. That is is, they both showed my site-wide default (Collage Landscape) for galleries that I hadn't explicitly set to anything different. And if I used EITHER method to change to something else, then BOTH reflected the change. (This is very sensible behavior, exactly what I'd expect.) I am VERY certain that the setting shown in the Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance screen was NOT "Smugmug" ... but now it is. However Customize->Gallery Style still shows "Collage Landscape", and the galleries still actually display as Collage Landscape.

Right now I'm thinking of this as more of a weird quirk than a serious flaw - I do seem to be able to get the galleries to actually work they way I want, even if the interface for achieving that seems a bit flaky. I mostly raised the issue to make Smugmug aware that I personally think something changed (at least on my site), and that the change would likely be confusing for most users.

- Mark
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    I'm not quite following, Denise. Even where I have galleries set (via Gallery Settings) to something else, e.g., Collage Portrait, when viewing the gallery, at the top of the page it says Smugmug Style (default), and there is no indicator in the list, that I'm aware of, that would tell me the gallery is set to Collage Portrait.
    I guess I must be lucky then - on my site the Gallery Style indicates the style that gallery is set to - whether the gallery is set to the default (Collage Landscape currently) or to a different style. The screen shot below shows that the gallery I am viewing is set to Journal (and it is).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    This is what I see in the gallery that is set to collage portrait.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    This is what I see in the gallery that is set to collage portrait.
    It looks as if there isn't a color difference on your site to show the current gallery's selection. On my site the selected style is shown in gray and the others are shown in blue.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    It looks as if there isn't a color difference on your site to show the current gallery's selection. On my site the selected style is shown in gray and the others are shown in blue.

--- Denise

Yes... I wonder if this is a bug if the site is set to Smugmug style, since what I see is (I think) consistent with the OP's problem.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    Yes... I wonder if this is a bug if the site is set to Smugmug style, since what I see is (I think) consistent with the OP's problem.
    I just checked a SmugMug style gallery on my site, still not a problem. That style (when selected) is showing as gray in the list and the other non-selected styles show as blue.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    Denise, ChancyRat:

The screenshots etc that you're showing are all related to what is shown in the Customize->Gallery Style menu option. That also works fine for me too.

My problem is in a different place. When I have a gallery open, and I then go into the Gallery Style field that appears under the Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance page. (That is, I look at the gallery style field in the appearance page of the overall gallery settings.) In THAT place, all my galleries now appear to have been set to "Smugmug" style. I have no idea why, and I don't think it was like that a few weeks ago.

- Mark
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    My problem is in a different place. When I have a gallery open, and I then go into the Gallery Style field that appears under the Customize->Gallery Settings->Appearance page. (That is, I look at the gallery style field in the appearance page of the overall gallery settings.) In THAT place, all my galleries now appear to have been set to "Smugmug" style. I have no idea why, and I don't think it was like that a few weeks ago.

- Mark
    Very interesting. I just checked a couple of my galleries and on the appearance tab they are showing either Collage Landscape (Default) or for galleries for which I am not using the default they show the chosen style.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2014
    Very interesting. I just checked a couple of my galleries and on the appearance tab they are showing either Collage Landscape (Default) or for galleries for which I am not using the default they show the chosen style.

--- Denise

Hmmm... so this problem is likely something specific to my site. I'll investigate, but I can't imagine what I would have done to produce it....

- Mark
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2014
    How do you change the default settings? My keywords page used to show a collage landscape style and now it shows Smugmug style.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2014
    Erick L wrote: »
    How do you change the default settings? My keywords page used to show a collage landscape style and now it shows Smugmug style.
    Go to any gallery, click on customize > customize site. Hold your mouse over the gallery content and click on the wrench button. In the drop down menu that is shown in the dialog, you'll be able to change your default gallery style.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero