Options

Grand Portage State Park

fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
edited September 12, 2014 in Landscapes
Torrents of wild water plummet 120 feet over the High Falls down to the Pigeon River in this park on the U.S. - Canadian border. The falls, the highest in the state of Minnesota, presented a serious obstacle to river travel, so a "carrying place," or portage, was necessary. American Indians created the ancient nine-mile trail from Lake Superior to bypass the falls. This trail became known as "The Grand Portage."
Here is a Triptych of the large falls.

GPSP%20Tryptic-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2014
    Great shots. That is some kind of serious water-flow going on there.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    Nice work. I like the shutter speed used in #1 as it gives a combination of flow and splash. I'm not fond of the blown out silky water in the other two. Just my $0.02.
    Steve
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    The High Falls of the Pigeon River are quite spectacular, I was just up there a couple weeks ago.

I like your triptych. Well done!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Grand and beautiful! Learned about a new place! Another one I would die wishing I had seen.
    Would love to see BIGGER versions of this, even though you triptych is fab!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The High Falls of the Pigeon River are quite spectacular, I was just up there a couple weeks ago.

I like your triptych. Well done!

Thanks! I liked your images of Lake Superior you posted, too! Love the North Shore! Can't get up there enough. Keep posting "Pathfinder" love your images.

Take care,
    Mike
  • Options
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Nice work. I like the shutter speed used in #1 as it gives a combination of flow and splash. I'm not fond of the blown out silky water in the other two. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the 2 cents! I'm addicted more towards the cotton candy over blown water, I guess. Wished I had my "Big Stopper" along to see what I could have done with a real long shutter speed. Used a polarizer that helped get a longer shutter speed on an overcast day.

Thanks for the comment!

Mike
  • Options
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Grand and beautiful! Learned about a new place! Another one I would die wishing I had seen.
    Would love to see BIGGER versions of this, even though you triptych is fab!
    Cheers!

Are you kidding me Stumblebum? Your shots of the ocean absolutely rock! Lake Superior is my "ocean" or I have to get on a plane (which I hate more & more).
    Thanks for your comment, keep sharing your shots & long exposures; love 'em.

Peace,
    Mike
    GPSP%20Tryptic-X2.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Thanks for bigger pic! Look even more awesome! You are right, living in CA I don't have a right to whine too much, but do wish to see all 50 states but not sure if that will happen! Cheers!