Options

SanDisk 512 GB SD card announced

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
edited September 18, 2014 in Cameras
Read about it here. Yep, that's 512 gigabytes :jawdrop. 90 MB/sec transfer speed, 800 $US. Meant for video, I assume--my entire photo archive is only around 250 GB. They also have some new 256 and 128 GB models.

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2014
    My photo archive is in the 4+ TB range now but this is still well beyond anything I need. BUT I have a friend who shot a recent show at 4k and with the file sizes he talked about this would definitely be nice.
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    Not really necessary for my cameras but it might be nice for my Chromebook.
    Steve
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    Somewhere I saw a link for Sandisk or Lexar marketing a 1 Tb portable USB 3 ( and/or Thunderrbolt 2 ) bus powered external SSDs, but I can't find the link right now. I am still looking. I did find Transcend external SSD up to 1 Tb portable USB 3.0 external SSDs here - http://www.photographyblog.com/news/transcend_1tb_esd400_portable_ssd/

That link was dated June 20, 2014, so where is Lexar and Sandisk?

I think I saw it somewhere in a link about Photokina, and Lexar's Thunderbolt card readers that I have been interested in - http://www.lexar.com/workflow?category=203
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    Back in the day, I bought an epson p2000 because memory cards, 1 and 2gb, were so expensive. I used to load the photos to the epson so I could reuse the cards, linky: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=49164278 The p2000 had a 40g hard drive!
  • Options
    I remember those...

Times have changed a bit

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited September 14, 2014
    So on a 1D (series), 5D (series) or the new 7DmkII, all sporting dual card slots, one can have a little over 1TB in the camera. Amazing.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    So on a 1D (series), 5D (series) or the new 7DmkII, all sporting dual card slots, one can have a little over 1TB in the camera. Amazing.
    If the trend continues, one card of the next generation may have a greater capacity than the shutter life of the camera. eek7.gif
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    If the trend continues, one card of the next generation may have a greater capacity than the shutter life of the camera. eek7.gif

We've got a ways to go....a TB is only ~21k 24 MP RAW images.
  • Options
    We've got a ways to go....a TB is only ~21k 24 MP RAW images.
    Capacity has increased by about three orders of magnitude in the past ten years. It would only take one to approximate current high-end shutter life, though presumably that too will improve. OK, so maybe you'll need two cards, but you'd want that in any event mwink.gif.
  • Options
    I still use 32 Gb cards more often that any other size. Big enough, but not too big, and the price is reasonable these days now. But I am shooting stills, the video folks will be all over the fast, very large cards.

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    The largest card I own is 4g but I'm still using a 1dmk11n and shoot jpegs.. file size is relatively small.