HS Girls Field Hockey

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited September 23, 2014 in Sports
My only daylight game this season. I was hoping for a nice overcast, but it was not to be. So, quite contrasty. Still . . . better than sodium vapor lights! I hope you enjoy them.

_JWS9842-XL.jpg

_JWS9863-XL.jpg

_JWS0016-XL.jpg

_JWS0162-XL.jpg

_JWS0183-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2014
    Lot of tension/effort illustrated here ... really nice. The girls are certainly not holding back!
    I think #1 and #4 are my favourites.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    I had no idea how physical that game was until I saw your shots....

I'm kind of digging the goalie and that puck/ball movement
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    M38A1 wrote: »
    I had no idea how physical that game was until I saw your shots....

Yeah, it can be downright scary. Especially on an artificial surface, it's so fast. These kids are FIT, let me tell you.
    John :
    Yes, Ace. #4 really shows serious athleticism, IMO.
    John :
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2014
    #2 and #4 are my favorites. The full stretch on #4 is a great capture. I do some stretching but I have a ways to go to match that.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2014
    John:

Nice work--looks like you had to deal with both direct sun and then some big shadows.

I like the contrasting expressions in #1
    Regards

Will
    Awesome light, awesome shots. #4 is a little... upskirt for me? The defender in #1 looks like she is doing a monkey impersonation. 2 wins it for me.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited September 20, 2014
    Thanks, Will.

Oh, Jack! Welcome to field hockey. Years ago, when my daughters were playing FH in HS, they wore proper kilts. Sure, a little short, but kilts nonetheless. When my younger played in college, I was amazed at the shorter kits. Now it's like "why bother?" Just get the same teeny shorts the volleyball girls wear and be done with it, but tradition still rules. They can still call them kilts, I guess. :D

There are still shots I kill before publication, but the kids don't bat an eye at stuff like #4. So far I haven't had a parent ask for a shot to be taken down. I always get invited to their end of year dinners. They always have a slideshow running and you'd be amazed at the shots they choose! eek7.gif If I put some of the culls up here, the mods would probably move them to "Go Figure."
    John :
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2014
    These are Great
    Love the energy!
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
    edited September 22, 2014
    Thnk you Bruce. I appreciate that you took the time to comment.
    John :
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    A very good job. I like the sharpness and IQ of your images. You've captured the intensity well. Just a FYI, for sports which include a ball or puck or scoring device, as a general practice you gotta strive to include that in the shot. (Unless you captured sometime truly extraordinary.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Just a FYI, for sports which include a ball or puck or scoring device, as a general practice you gotta strive to include that in the shot. (Unless you captured sometime truly extraordinary.)

Gary

You'll get no argument from me, but when you're shooting anything like golf, baseball, tennis, soccer, field hockey, ice hockey, lacrosse, javelin, cricket or shot put, it's quite unusual to get shots of follow-through that include the toy. Curling comes to mind as a notable exception.

This shot is instructive. The action is coming almost directly toward the camera, so even though the ball has traveled several feet, it's still in the frame with the shooter. VERY rare opportunity.
    _JWS6039-X2.jpg
    John :
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    That is one of the elements which makes Sports so difficult to shoot. Hey another nice shot (both your and #5).

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    To get the angle like you're suggesting, whenever I can, I like to set up behind the endline between the corner and the scoring arc. --so up to about 5-10 yards in from the sideline. That way, you'll get a more instances of girls coming and passing/shooting directly towards you. However, not all fields are set up with enough space to set up there (though fields with running tracks around the field usually have the large, empty semi-circle behind the goal line) and some ref's will get jumpy. However, I'm usually silent around the field and as long as I don't move around very much while the ball's near me (and you're low like you need to be shooting field hockey), the ref's often won't even notice me...
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote: »
    To get the angle like you're suggesting, whenever I can, I like to set up behind the endline between the corner and the scoring arc. --so up to about 5-10 yards in from the sideline. That way, you'll get a more instances of girls coming and passing/shooting directly towards you. However, not all fields are set up with enough space to set up there (though fields with running tracks around the field usually have the large, empty semi-circle behind the goal line) and some ref's will get jumpy. However, I'm usually silent around the field and as long as I don't move around very much while the ball's near me (and you're low like you need to be shooting field hockey), the ref's often won't even notice me...

Don't forget to wear neutral colored clothing, no team colors.
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited September 23, 2014
    wmstumme wrote: »
    To get the angle like you're suggesting, whenever I can, I like to set up behind the endline between the corner and the scoring arc.

Every time you solve one problem, another pops up. Whack-a-Mole. Nearly all my games are night-time. The lighting in the high school stadiums around here ranges from barely decent to abysmal. There's always lots of fall-off at the goal lines, so when shooting from behind the end line, you end up with really contrasty stuff like this one. For your night games sideline shots will always better lit.

_JWS5569-XL.jpg
    John :