Options

Nikon D800 or Canon 6d/5d mark ii/iii

YongSeo622628YongSeo622628 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 18, 2014 in Cameras
Hi,

I'm new to photography and i've been shooting concerts in the past few years. I've been using Nikon DX 7100 and the image quality pleased me. But I saw the price cut down in D800 full frame because of the introduction of D810 so I upgraded mine and sold D7100 at a lot less than what I've paid.

However, D800 did not please me with the image quality especially it produced a lot of noise at ISO 1600. Canon on the other hand, produce better image quality and the skin tone is just natural.

should I give up my new Nikon and switch to Canon instead?

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2014
    What about the Df? It would be your best bet as it has the sensor from he D4 as long as the 39 point AF's coverage isn't too limiting. The D750 would be another option and that way you'd keep the 51 point AF.

Also what are you going to use the images for? Web? Print (magazines/papers)? Large format prints? I shoot concerts with a D7100 and D700 and while the D7100 has a decent amount of noise at 100% when printed it looks fine, or at any web size. I can't comment much on the color though since once they go into lightroom my concert photos become B&W.

Also the skin tone you should be able to fix in post and just make some pre-sets for different lighting. Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2014
    Yep if you want the true high ISO champion, you might as well get the Df instead of the D800.

On the Canon side of things, the 6D has about the same (decent) AF performance as the Df, whereas the 5D mk3 which has killer AF is about the same as the D800 WRT high ISOs. Same thing with the 5D mk2, ISO is even worse than the D800 probably, and AF is just a complete joke in low-light, you'll notice the huge step down compared to the D7100 or D800.

The D750 is also probably going to be quite a contender, IMO, as it has both the flagship AF and also the ISO performance to impress...

Heck, you could probably sell your D800 used and get the D750 with only a couple hundred bucks extra investment!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum