Options

lens choice overload-350D

Angelica JacksonAngelica Jackson Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited December 30, 2005 in Cameras
So I have decided to upgrade to a DSLR and I thought the hard part would be picking the body (narrowed it down to Olympus E-500 and Canon Rebel XT 350D but have decided on the Canon). Then I started looking at lenses and have spent 2 days doing nothing else but trying to narrow it down to one choice (for now I have about $1,000US to spend on body, one lens, and memory---yep, you read that right).
As to what features I am looking for, I tend to shoot a lot of macro, landscapes, wildlife, and architecture (see www.AngelicaRJackson.com for some shots taken with my current Olympus C-730). I know for the wildlife shots I will eventually want a really long lens but I want something that is fairly flexible for the above applications for now.
When I used my Nikon N70 SLR I had a Quantaray 70-300mm f4-5.6 Zoom LD Macro lens that did just about everything I needed it to do. I found a Tamron lens for the Canon (Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro) that looked to be equivalent and got some good FM reviews---but it takes a 62mm lens filter.
I don't care that I won't be able to use my old Quantaray lenses on the Canon body, but I have gone to a lot of trouble to accumulate a good array of filters in the 58mm size. I know they make step-down rings but that seems like it would be a good setup for vignetting or distortion, so I'm unsure whether this is the way to go.
Any advice on lenses that might work for my applications and take a 58mm filter or smaller? Or alternative choices? There are some rebates that expire 12/31 or 1/15 and I would like to make a decision soon. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Hi Angelica.

If you get the kit (18-55) lens with the D Reb 350, it uses a 58mm filter.
    The new Canon 70-300is (non DO) lens also uses a 58mm filter.

For macro shots, the Canon 50mm F2.5 macro lens uses a 52 mm filter,
    so you could get a $8 step up ring, and all your filters would work on it also.

I'm not sure of the price of the camera and kit lens, but I think the 70-300is
    is going for about $550, the 50mm macro is about $240.

I know that's over your budget, maybe wait a while to get the 70-300is.
    It's more than a Quantaray, or Tamron, or Sigma. But it's worth it.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Are you sure the Quantaray won't work on the XT? I used to have that lens and it worked ok with my Canon 300D.

Erich
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    Are you sure the Quantaray won't work on the XT? I used to have that lens and it worked ok with my Canon 300D.

Erich

I think the Quantaray is a Nikon mount.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Hi Angelica.

For macro shots, the Canon 50mm F2.5 macro lens uses a 52 mm filter,
    so you could get a $8 step up ring, and all your filters would work on it also.

couldn't she just use Extension tubes??ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Hmmm..I glossed over that N70 reference huh? Not doing good tonight. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Hi, and welcome!

First of all, take GREAT care of that Sigma 70-300! It's a great lens that I've used for some great shots like these:

14207993-M.jpg

14771608-M.jpg

20937572-M.jpg

17829275-M.jpg

You will be super-satisfied with it's quality and incredibly delighted that it gives you such nice results at such a small price and small weight. However, it is almost all plastic. With a few good falls, it will break. This is just a tradeoff you have to make to get such a good price and weight. It will fall apart if you handle it too roughly. Mine didn't even last me a year, but that's because it took many many small "hits" swinging around on my neck as I climbed rocks and trees and things. Keep yours in your bag, keep it safe, and it will be a good lens.

However, I must question your 350D decision if your budget is $1000. Did you not realize that the Nikon D50 body is a mere $570? Are you planning on being content with the smaller, less expensive lenses that have 58mm filter rings? I don't really know whether to advise you to buy a Canon / Nikon / Olympus etc. etc. since I don't know your shooting desires or habits or long term budget. So currently all I can say is make a decision based upon which body feels best in your hands and is the most intuitive to control. I've shot with the 350D a number of times and it's a great camera, and even though I have huge hands I like it's small size. I would buy one definitely if I needed high ISO performance to do "gig" work like weddings / production plays etc. etc. ...Even though I prefer Nikon for my private, hobby shooting. But what I mean to say is, both the Canon 350D and the Nikon D50 are pretty much equally capable cameras, (though if you want me to explain their exact differences and advantages I can) and if you're on a $1000 budget I would reccomend the D50 first simply because it is inexpensive but still potent.

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    but have decided on the Canon

Good choice thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2005
    Explanatory
    Hi Matt (and helpful others)
    When I first was thinking of getting a new camera, the Nikon D50 was an obvious choice because of the Nikon mount on my Quantaray lenses. I was virtually sold on the Nikon until I actually went into a store and held one--the grip is so large and heavy for my hand that I can't hold it one-handed. Since I've had a history of problems with heavy equipment because of my hands/arms/back (spinal tumor discovered and removed this summer, though, so I'm raring to go now) the weight and grip are a big deal for me. I also liked the few extra megapixels in the Canon and Olympus vs. the Nikon since this needs to last me a while and we all know how quickly the technology surpasses the latest models.
    And you're right about the Rebel being the most expensive of the 3 choices (canon/nikon/olympus) and I may be forced to re-evaluate the Olympus because of that. It was really close (I like the Olympus I have but the decision went to the Canon because of the Olympus habit of hard-clipped highlights) and I think I could be happy with either one.
    The only other thing in your post is " First of all, take GREAT care of that Sigma 70-300!" It was a Tamron lens that I was considering; does it still have the same issues with breakage? My Quantaray has been dropped a number of times (including in water) and is still going strong.
    Thanks for all the thoughtful responses so far!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    So I have decided to upgrade to a DSLR and I thought the hard part would be picking the body (narrowed it down to Olympus E-500 and Canon Rebel XT 350D but have decided on the Canon). Then I started looking at lenses and have spent 2 days doing nothing else but trying to narrow it down to one choice (for now I have about $1,000US to spend on body, one lens, and memory---yep, you read that right).
    As to what features I am looking for, I tend to shoot a lot of macro, landscapes, wildlife, and architecture (see www.AngelicaRJackson.com for some shots taken with my current Olympus C-730). I know for the wildlife shots I will eventually want a really long lens but I want something that is fairly flexible for the above applications for now.
    When I used my Nikon N70 SLR I had a Quantaray 70-300mm f4-5.6 Zoom LD Macro lens that did just about everything I needed it to do. I found a Tamron lens for the Canon (Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro) that looked to be equivalent and got some good FM reviews---but it takes a 62mm lens filter.
    I don't care that I won't be able to use my old Quantaray lenses on the Canon body, but I have gone to a lot of trouble to accumulate a good array of filters in the 58mm size. I know they make step-down rings but that seems like it would be a good setup for vignetting or distortion, so I'm unsure whether this is the way to go.
    Any advice on lenses that might work for my applications and take a 58mm filter or smaller? Or alternative choices? There are some rebates that expire 12/31 or 1/15 and I would like to make a decision soon. Thanks.

Angelica, trying to do a dSLR on a budget is probably not a great idea. As you've discovered, the body is the least of your expenses.

Before you leap, have you looked at saving money in the future to expand your lens collection? If not, then a dSLR might not be for you. Bad glass will infuriate you, as will only owning a limited selection of focal lengths.

Just want to get your head to thinking about where the real cost of owning a dSLR lies - in the lenses.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    In your price, I'd stick with the Kit lens (18-55mm) and add the 50mm f1.8

You'll get a lot of use out of that combination, and can add more/better later.

Lee
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Angelica,

I would seriously rethink your choice of Canon gear, given the fact that you already have a great lens with a Nikon mount. When I was trying to decide between Canon and Nikon (the 20d vs. the D70) I found that, despite the higher megapixel rate of the 20d, the actual images don't look noticabely different. It seems to me beyond the 5mp limit or so, the quality of the lens will affect the resolution of the shots far more positively or negatively than the 2 megapixel difference will. If you want to take a look at sample shots, which you can view at extremely large magnifications, check out dpreview.com.

I eventually chose canon, primarily because I liked the larger body of the 20d vs. the D70 (I have big hands) and I use my camera a lot in the field where it can be treated a bit roughly. Neither of these factors really come into play in a D50 vs. 350d comparison. But then again, I was starting from zero, as my film SLR (a praktica) and all its gear got stolen. If I had already had Nikon lenses, I definitely would have gone with the Nikon system. Looking around, it seems that for my type of photography the two systems are about equal. I don't do much telephoto, so the internal motor of the canon isn't that important to me, but the supposed advantage of the Nikon lens system for wide angle is way out of reach for me financially, so again, its a wash.

If you do decide to go with the 350d, you won't be disappointed. It's a decent camera. You might want to consider the lens choices that I have made, as it looks like we have similar tastes in shooting (except I don't do macros).

I use the kit lens as a "walking around lens", at least until the day that I save up enough cash to buy a high quality wide angle, or sell one of my photos for a ridiculous amount of money! It's basically impossible to get that wide, economically, with any other canon lens. The lens is not the greatest in the world, but at ideal aperture settings it is quite nice. I try to keep mine between f8 and f11, and my shots look pretty sharp. Low light handholding, however, is pretty much impossible for me.

If you want the kit lens, I would advise you NOT to purchase it new, or as part of the package. A lot of folks buy the 18-55mm with the body, then don't like the fact that it isn't that long and run out and get a telephoto. This means that a lot of very lightly used 18-55mm are floating around auction sites. I picked mine up used for $60, and it truly was in "mint" condition. I think the guy had used it for something like a week.

The second lens I got, not realizing how important some telephoto capacity would be to me, was the 50mm f1.8 (non-macro). Having blown all my ready cash on the body, I wanted quality for a good price, and I certainly got it. I won't belabour how much I love this lens, as there is another thread that discusses it in particular- suffice it to say that an image taken with this lens at optimum aperture is sharp as a tack, and that f1.8 means you can dispense with your flash and hand hold in a lot of situations where you would think such a thing impossible.

The next thing I did was pick up a used 35-135mm USM lens at Adorama in manhattan. If you live near New York you can go there and test out the lens- a lot of the old used Sigmas and Tamrons don't work with the new digital cameras, so a hands on test is good. The 35-135 cost about $90, it was a little worn cosmetically, but good.

One of the secondary draw for me in regards to choosing canon was that there are quite a few quality used lenses out there. I think, for folks like us who are a little stretched for money, that is the way to go. Not as sexy as new, but getting a price cut from $300 to $90 is nice. Also, if you buy used equipment form B&H or Adorama, you can pretty much be sure it is esactly as advertised. The internet auction site is much riskier, but again, for the 18-55mm, you are probably OK. Look for a guy whose only had it a few weeks.

Good luck!mwink.gif
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Angelica, trying to do a dSLR on a budget is probably not a great idea. As you've discovered, the body is the least of your expenses.

Before you leap, have you looked at saving money in the future to expand your lens collection? If not, then a dSLR might not be for you. Bad glass will infuriate you, as will only owning a limited selection of focal lengths.

Just want to get your head to thinking about where the real cost of owning a dSLR lies - in the lenses.

Listen to this man.

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif Sid told me this yonks back & as i had an AE-1 with some gear i thought "whats he on about" you buy your stuff once & thats that. If it was just a camera body we had to consider then things would be simple. When i leaped into my 20D i allowed $3000 USD for lenses...i have easily spent another $1000 on bags/tripods/etc.

Not saying that you need this stuff but this is a whole new world where its easy to become frustrated. Just something i have noticed.
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Listen to this man.

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif Sid told me this yonks back & as i had an AE-1 with some gear i thought "whats he on about" you buy your stuff once & thats that. If it was just a camera body we had to consider then things would be simple. When i leaped into my 20D i allowed $3000 USD for lenses...i have easily spent another $1000 on bags/tripods/etc.

Not saying that you need this stuff but this is a whole new world where its easy to become frustrated. Just something i have noticed.

I have to agree. The camera body is like a first free snort of cocaine. Afterwords the habit gets very expensive.15524779-Ti.gif
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I have to agree. The camera body is like a first free snort of cocaine. Afterwords the habit gets very expensive.15524779-Ti.gif

Yep, yep. Being very new to the DSLR world I had NO CLUE just how expensive it woud get. And if you make a mistake on a lens choice (great lens just doesn't suit your style) while you can sell it you still have that money tied up till you do. Quite frustrating, to me anyway.

While no one would want to dissuade you from getting an XT, DSLRS are FUN, FUN, there is just more to think about than it seems.
    Just my .02
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2005
    Follow-up
    Just thought I'd let everybody know how helpful their advice was, especially the in-depth post from Justiceiro. My husband saw me on the computer again this morning and made like he was going to drag me away--I guess I've been spending too much time on it lately!
    I ended up getting the Rebel XT body with a 1 gig CF combo at B&H, plus a Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical IF Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS (USED) to start with. We already know that when we do get a bigger telephoto it will need to be a good quality one to get the wildlife shots so we'll start saving.
    This Tamron lens got outstanding reviews on FM so we'll see how it does for me. Thanks again.