Options

Dumbarton Bridge

Jim McClainJim McClain Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited October 6, 2014 in Landscapes
I had to take a trip to the SF Bay Area earlier this week to get a part for my Segway. I used to live in the area for several years, but haven't visited for a while. The Dumbarton Bridge was my cross-over point. Just before getting on the bridge, there is a muddy access road where KGO radio has several towers. I spent almost an hour in the early morning and walked away with only a couple shots I liked. Being there reminded me of when I first got interested in photography as an art form. It was back in the early 80s and I especially liked B&W, even took a class at the local college. So, the first shot below is to honor that time of my life.

bay-area1409-22-x1024.jpg

bay-area1409-30-x1024.jpg

Jim

Comments

• Options
    junglejimjunglejim Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2014
    Black and white
    I really like the black and white. It seems more brooding

BTW where is the REAL north California??

up in trinity county? Modoc? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Jim McClainJim McClain Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2014
    Plumas County - Feather River country. I've taken to using that as my "location" designation because I hate it so much when people from, for instance, San Francisco say they are in Northern California. SF is nowhere near No. CA. Heck, it's south (SW) of Sacramento and they don't call Sac northern CA. I s'pose, if they ever get enough votes and split CA into 2 or more states, then maybe SF can say they are No. CA. But that ain't happened yet. I don't know why they can't just be happy with what most of us been callin' that area for centuries: The Bay Area. Want a new name? Call it California Bay. Leave No. CA to those of us who live in the REAL Northern California.

soapbox.gif
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2014
    First image is nicely framed, but it looks a little flat and dull, gloomy rather than mysterious. Histogram shows lots of space on the right, and a quick test shows me that to my eye at least, you can stretch out the radiance values to fill the radiance space without blowing out the sky or making the sky so bright that it dominates the image.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 6, 2014
    Good eye, Jim. I've been by these places a hundred times and never though to photograph there. I like what you've done with these. I agree that the first one might be a bit underexposed.