Options

Is 301 redirect possible with SmugMug?

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
edited October 7, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I'm thinking to change the name of my travelways.com site to a more photo related name, but I'll keep the current name for a blog site.

However, I know that by simply changing the name, I will loose all the google ranking and I'll have 404 errors for all the links I made from social media sites, like facebook, pinterest, etc....

I'm wondering if a 301 redirect from the current name to the new name would be possible???

Thanks,
Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Hi Tatiana,

Changing your custom domain is something I'd advise against for the same reasons you already mentioned. Not only would Google have to re-index all the content, it may also take time before it could do that as Google usually doesn't index the same content twice and you'd therefore likely have to wait for the content to drop from your old domain.

In regards to the redirect, that's something you'd have to set up at your domain host. SmugMug only supports one custom domain for an account. I can't say if that kind of redirect is even possible without affecting your Google ranking. You may have to check with your domain host to see what they say and if that might be something they could do.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2014
    Yes, I got it :)

Thank you very much.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com