A girl & her cat

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited January 1, 2006 in People
This is my daughter & splodge the rex. Nothing stellar about the shot but i decided to try some higher ISO B&W's, 1600 @ f1.8...the room was nearly black & the only real light was from the nintendo. He follows her everywhere & will just sit quite happy to be next to her as he has been with her since he was a kitten. He ignors everyone else in the family.

50102140-M.jpg

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    that's adorable.

i only wish the top of the picture wasn't blown out. i love how her face is lit by gameboy.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    tks mate...it did blow out a bit here. I walked into her room & had to bolt for the camera rather quickly & there was a ray of light from a gap in a curtain.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    High ISO trick: Set your EC to -1/3 - the brights won't blow so much. Doesn't hurt this pic Gus - lovely shot of our daughter and cat.

I just finished a round of Mario Kart racing on the Nintendo Game Cube with my 6 1/2 year old. He trounced me. :uhoh
    edited December 29, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    High ISO trick: Set your EC to -1/3 - the brights won't blow so much. Doesn't hurt this pic Gus - lovely shot of our daughter and cat.

I just finished a round of Mario Kart racing on the Nintendo Game Cube with my 6 1/2 year old. He trounced me. :uhoh
    tks mate

Yerbut i have a girl...i have to play 'nintendogs' :cry
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Great shot gus. My daughters cat not only follows her everywhere, but he takes the 'ignoring everyone else' to a whole nother level - he hates most everyone, especially if they are male - hisses and growls and is down right miserable!!

Mariocart racing is a blast! Absolute blast - our whole family was addicted for the first 4 months we owned it!!!!!

ann
    edited December 29, 2005
    Thanks ann...GW likes it also so thats cuts me a bit of slack with the "why have you got your camera & lenses all over the place" lines.

I am going to make a much bigger effort with B&W's...i havnt done for a long while.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Andy & Ann:

Get Mario Super Strikers for Gamecube... much fun! :D
    edited December 30, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Andy & Ann:

Get Mario Super Strikers for Gamecube... much fun! :D
    Tks for stopping by owen.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    I can't help but love this kind of shots. And I'm really not bothered by blown out highlights. Your intention is to capture an atmosphere, not to capture the perfect exposure. Gus, your image just oozes atmosphere, very well done. And good luck with nintendogs. rolleyes1.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Lovely shot Gus.
    edited December 30, 2005
    Tks for your comments marlof & thusie. She really gets sick of me photographing her so i love to catch her when she is too busy to complain.
    edited December 31, 2005
    Another day...another cat squeezing moment. If she moves rooms ..so does he. I have seen him sitting on the bath edge whilst she is in there, he just never leaves her.

Im really getting into Kelbys methods for B&W's.

50383631-M.jpg
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    that last picture is a superb capture. i really love it.
    edited January 1, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    that last picture is a superb capture. i really love it.
    Tks bing...im having a B&W feast atm. You know those shooting lulls so you try diff ideas.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    The eyes just grab me, super, super shot. The cat's devotion, seems a bit off the norm for a cat, makes the pictures a wonderful story too.
    edited January 1, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    The eyes just grab me, super, super shot. The cat's devotion, seems a bit off the norm for a cat, makes the pictures a wonderful story too.
    Tks thusie..the lady whom we got him off told us that rex's have a trait where they will bond to one person in the house & remain that way. I pretty well ignored the comment until i started to see this strong 'pack' bond...i really didnt think a cat would do that.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    great conversion, great moment captured...clap.gif
    edited January 1, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    great conversion, great moment captured...clap.gif
    Tks labs...she does get tired of me with the camera (the cat ignors me though). At least you have a few years before the complaints start.