Options

Globular springtail, take 2...

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited October 18, 2014 in Holy Macro
I found another globular springtail tonight - it's a bit warmer than yesterday, so I had time to go looking...

What I did different, was to have the camera tripod mounted with the image stabilsation turned off, and I tried to get closer than last night by having a torch to show me how close to the damn thing I could get!

Anyway - what I have done editing wise, is to show you the original photograph, followed by the cropped one which is done for composition and to allow the closer view for impact (for the first 3) and then I cropped the final image (which is a different image from the first - you can tell from the position of the orange markings on the surface of the plastic compost bin the springtail is walking across) directly in Lightroom before exporting to Photoshop.

See what you think. I reckon #3 & 4 may be a bit over-sharpened - I used a high pass filter on those

Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/250 sec, f/10, ISO 200

1080original1.jpg

1080original1crop.jpg

1080original2.jpg

1080original2crop.jpg

1080original3.jpg

1080original3crop.jpg

1080originallightroomcrop.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2014
    Very nice ..thank you for the info as well, that said, I have no Idea what they are,how big they are and where to find them, but I would love to try to photograph one of them
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2014
    Lovely captures Paul - do prefer the crop #2
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2014
    Thanks again Brian :)

Gatto - they are just another marvel of nature - and you'll find them often under damp wood at night...

Paul.

• Options
    GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2014
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    Thanks again Brian :)

Gatto - they are just another marvel of nature - and you'll find them often under damp wood at night...

Paul.

Thnx I will give it a try one of these nights
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 11, 2014
    Very good Paul , yes sharpening looks a bit too much , did you just sharpen the springy with high pass & erase all other parts of frame?
    Maybe use a 8% opacity brush to reduce sharpening a touch next time if you think still looks too much , that's what I do. Go over certain parts that look over sharpened and selectively reduce where necessary :D
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2014
    Cheers Phil - I tinker with different levels of sharpness and opacity - sometimes I get it a bit wrong.

Paul.

• Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2014
    Gatto wrote: »
    Very nice ..thank you for the info as well, that said, I have no Idea what they are,how big they are and where to find them, but I would love to try to photograph one of them

This species, Dicyrtomina ornata, reaches a maximum length of 3mm, so the average will be closer to 2mm. Moist leaf litter is another habitat to search. There you may find Tomocerus, which is up to 6mm long or Orchesella, which is not quite so large but likely to be much more active (jumping). There are many smaller species and mites to be found.

Harold