our man gubbs

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 7, 2004 in Landscapes
i had the great pleasure and honor of meeting fellow dgrinner "gubbs" aka jon today in london, for some dinner and some night shooting. what a great guy gubbsie is, we had a ball talking up life and photography.

we started, of course, with some traditional english pub food, some bangers and mash - sausages and mashed potatoes to the rest of the world :D

and here's gubbs
7988493-L.jpg

then, it was off to a place about 10 miles outside of london, where the city of london has put in some special flood control equipment to protect agains the thames river from flooding - it's called the thames barrier, and it's quite photogenic. we got there just as the sun was setting on the city behind us...

7988987-L.jpg

and here's a shot of jon shooting the sunset
7988492-L.jpg

and here's the barrier itself, just as the sun went down
7988494-L.jpg

it was a great evening, i thoroughly enjoyed meeting our gubbs, and i'm looking forward to an outing of street shooting with him on my next visit to london.

enjoy (new photography friends) photography,

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2004
    Corona??? That just doesn't seem right in London! umph.gifrolleyes1.gif

Looks like you had a good time, wish I could get back there...
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2004
    Wow...
    I'm so envious. Such a photogenic spot! Looks like you had a good time. Nice to see Gubbsie "in the flesh," so to speak.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2004
    wave.gif Hi Gubbsie. Good to see what you look like. This is sounding like a great trip.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    i said the same thing to gubbsie!
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Corona??? That just doesn't seem right in London! umph.gifrolleyes1.gif

Looks like you had a good time, wish I could get back there...

:D but yeah, he had a corona, go figure
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    Andy, the pleasure was all mine, I had a great evening and learnt heaps, I've got nearly 100 shots to go through most of which are RAW so it'll take a little time but I'll post some once I've sorted through.
    Here's one of andy at it!
    I'll make sure I have a proper pint next time, Thanks Andy thumb.gif

8012328-L.jpg
    edited September 2, 2004
    The differences here are what I was referring to in the other post, I have a lot to learn!! :D Back to the drawing board!!

8031667-L.jpg

8031664-L.jpg
    edited September 2, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    The differences here are what I was referring to in the other post, I have a lot to learn!! :D Back to the drawing board!!

8031667-S.jpg

8031664-S.jpg

heya gubbs - not "so much" to learn, just a bit of extra practice "getting the most in post" as i like to say.

it was really fun, i'll be sure to ring you up next time i'm across the pond. i'm off tomorrow, leavin' on a jet plane ...
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2004
    7988492-S.jpg7988493-S.jpg
    andy wrote:
    i had the great pleasure and honor of meeting fellow dgrinner "gubbs" aka jon today in london, for some dinner and some night shooting. what a great guy gubbsie is, we had a ball talking up life and photography.

we started, of course, with some traditional english pub food, some bangers and mash - sausages and mashed potatoes to the rest of the world :D

and here's gubbs

then, it was off to a place about 10 miles outside of london, where the city of london has put in some special flood control equipment to protect agains the thames river from flooding - it's called the thames barrier, and it's quite photogenic. we got there just as the sun was setting on the city behind us...

was a great evening, i thoroughly enjoyed meeting our gubbs, and i'm looking forward to an outing of street shooting with him on my next visit to london.

Andy, you can come down here to shoot anytime. A gastronomical event. I can't eat, then shoot. We will have to have a fasionable late dinner.

Sure Great to see "Gubbs"! Hi, Gubbs, got my new Wonderful World photo ready for you to critique. Lighter.

Andy, please do not shoot with Rutt, I don't ever want to lose my inner vision of him as a drooling guy with a green tennis ball in his mouth.

Really great to see Gubbs, though, in the end that is what people want to see, themselves, their loved ones or friends, in the photographs.

Unless it is art................ To have both coming out ot the same trip, well, Andy, of whom no less would be expected.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited September 2, 2004
    8012328-S.jpg
    gubbs wrote:
    Andy, the pleasure was all mine, I had a great evening and learnt heaps, I've got nearly 100 shots to go through most of which are RAW so it'll take a little time but I'll post some once I've sorted through.
    Here's one of andy at it!
    I'll make sure I have a proper pint next time, Thanks Andy thumb.gif
    Gubbs, I love it!!!
    You done good capturing Andy. Funny how when you "see" people enough, they can be recognized easily from the back.

Hi, Andy!!! Love it! Just love it, sounds like a great time was had by all.

ginger
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2004
    Great posts. I love seeing what other members look like. Great photos & looks like everyone was having a blast.

There were 3 meetings this week with dgrin members! Looks like we are doing quite well as a little community.

Myself and SeeMoon:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2521
    DavidTO and lynnesite:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2529

Thanks for sharing.
    Dave
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    andy wrote:

and here's gubbs

7988987-L.jpg

and here's a shot of jon shooting the sunset

and here's the barrier itself, just as the sun went down

it was a great evening, i thoroughly enjoyed meeting our gubbs, and i'm looking forward to an outing of street shooting with him on my next visit to london.

Andy.. on this shot.. did you use a filter? or a filter post processing? Or noise reducer?.. how did you get it to look so smooth...mwink.gif enquiring minds MUST know.
    edited September 6, 2004
    Lynn, that plug in will give you that color in a hearbeat. That is one of the bad things, I think, about all these artificial means we have at our disposal, it is hard to tell, and I tend to the cynical side.

I don't really care what was done, if a shot grabs me, but ............ sometimes I wish it all went back to technique.

ginger
    edited September 6, 2004
    That is how it looked, its polished but not changed.
    I think andy just had a UV or a skylight on, I'm sure he'll confirm.
    edited September 6, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    That is how it looked, its polished but not changed.
    I think andy just had a UV or a skylight on, I'm sure he'll confirm.
    Hmm I wondered if it was a uv.. I one of those.. somewhere.. in the bottom of my bag...rolleyes1.gif
    edited September 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Lynn, that plug in will give you that color in a hearbeat. That is one of the bad things, I think, about all these artificial means we have at our disposal, it is hard to tell, and I tend to the cynical side.

I don't really care what was done, if a shot grabs me, but ............ sometimes I wish it all went back to technique.

ginger
    Hi Ginge... I think it depends on what you are trying to do.. if you are trying to take an honest reproduction of a particular scene or situation thats one thing.. but if like me, you are trying to create something, something artistic (yeah right Lynn) I don't think it matters one hoot how you get there. Whether it be, drawing, painting, photography or a mixture of all three.. I'ts just art.
    I think it's still difficult to create art even with all the tools that we have to hand, plug ins, photoshop the lot... Now someone like Damon who takes gritty life shots is a whole different ball game.. if I were doing what he does I would not use most of ps tools.. just life. I'm babbling.. I'll stop...1drink.gif
    edited September 6, 2004
    lynn's question
    lynnma wrote:
    Andy.. on this shot.. did you use a filter? or a filter post processing? Or noise reducer?.. how did you get it to look so smooth...mwink.gif enquiring minds MUST know.

hey lynn, no, no filter used. in fact, it was handheld, too. nothing special in post, either, really.

andy

ps: thanks!
    edited September 6, 2004
    andy wrote:
    hey lynn, well, i had a skylight 1a filter on my 16-35L canon glass. but that really has next to no effect on the pic.

ps: thanks!

quick edit, i had a sky 1a filter on.
    edited September 6, 2004
    great shot, Andy
    I have some photos from the other morning, they are just that color, haven't been touched or worked up.

Andy, where did you post your stuff on the law?

ginger

I am trying to set my camera for night shooting, but i still don't have a shutter release. ???

And the legal stuff, I really want to know, i would think I could have printed it out, a great post.
    Lynn, I can make them that color, but God did it first, wonder if there are copy right lawsrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited September 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have some photos from the other morning, they are just that color, haven't been touched or worked up.

Andy, where did you post your stuff on the law?

ginger

I am trying to set my camera for night shooting, but i still don't have a shutter release. ???

And the legal stuff, I really want to know, i would think I could have printed it out, a great post.
    Lynn, I can make them that color, but God did it first, wonder if there are copy right lawsrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    It was'nt so much the color as the texture.. so smooooth.. and no sharpness..
    edited September 6, 2004
    ginger, what stuff on the law?
    please elaborate... thanks
    edited September 6, 2004
    andy wrote:
    quick edit, i had a sky 1a filter on.
    Andy.. I have (fished it out and had a look at it..) a Tiffen circular polarizer filter.. I used it once when I took shots of my Ospreys against a blue sky and was very pleased with the result. I've really forgotton how to use it now.. but I'll have to try it with glary shots and see... what do you think..
    headscratch.gif Lynn
    edited September 6, 2004
    Yes, it is............. a clear day, evening. Didn't that song come from those parts?

It is not like that here. Dull grey, with rough seas, and I am sure a rough harbor.

g
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    Fantastic fun to meet folks from online, isn't it? I'm marrying one sometime next year.

Now for something completely different, You Better Watch Your Wrasse!!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery