La basilique cathedrale de Saint-Denis - Paris

Meta4Meta4 Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
edited October 18, 2014 in Journeys
Paris has everything for a photographer. So much to see and shoot.
One of my favourite locations there is the Cathedral of Saint Denis in the northern suburbs of Paris.
St Denis is very close to a Metro station but well away from the major tourist areas.
It is a real gem of great significance and named for the patron saint of France.

The first church on the site was built around 475.
Rebuilding in 1144 created the world's first gothic cathedral and a departure from the previous architectural styles.
It is also the burial place of most of the kings and queens of France going back to Clovis I (481 – 511) and the opportunity to walk among their memorials in this setting is very special.SD_02-XL.jpg
The world's first gothic cathedral

SD_23-XL.jpg
Robert d'Artois 1256-1317

SD_16-XL.jpg
Marguerite d'Artois 1285-1311 & Louis, comte d'Evreux 1276-1319

SD_08-XL.jpg
Even tourists are likely to recognise this couple

SD_22-XL.jpg
Detail of the tomb of Dagobert from 639

SD_53-XL.jpg
St Denis has some spectacular stained glass windows

_DSC4049a-XL.jpg
Finely carved choir stalls

SD_34-XL.jpg
Some of the later kings have elaborate memorials. This is for Louis XII from 1515

SD_40-XL.jpg

Saint Denis was sent to Lutetia (Paris) by Pope Fabian where he destroyed statues of Roman gods and emperors and was arrested and beheaded at Montmarte. According to legend he then stood up, took his head and walked 6 kilometers to the village of Catoliacus (Saint Denis) where he was buried and the cathedral now stands. St Denis is often depicted carrying his head as shown here in the facade of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

_DSC5255a-XL.jpg

I found St Denis on my last trip to Paris and spent half a day there admiring this medieval treasure.
More of my pictures from here are at http://abovephotos.smugmug.com/Travel/France-20142/St-Denis/

Comments

• dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    Beautiful work, and thank you for taking me along!
    Duke
  • 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    Excellent presentation. Thank you.

AndyW
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2014
    Thanks for posting these images. Well done! I especially like your composition of the stained glass - #6.

Flickr has a group called Catholic Cathedrals you may to like to visit or perhaps post to.

See https://www.flickr.com/groups/21041011@N00/
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 18, 2014
    Beautiful pictures. I love the old cathedrals. Especially the detail and stained glass.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?