Options

Tegenaria, Opilione, and a water loving Globular Springtail

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited October 13, 2014 in Holy Macro
Three different images tonight from the darkness of the garden.

Exif on all is 1/250th @ ISO 125, f10.

First up is the spider, Tegenaria sp. (probably gigantea). She was stood on the wall of the outhouse and on spotting her (that was so obviously the easy bit!) I went back indoors to get the camera. One tube used on this:

1080spiderfemale.jpg

Second up is the harvestman - a youngster this one - short legs compared to what I usually find in the garden. Three tubes used to get in here:

1080opil.jpg

Last up and best find probably of the look around in the depths of night, is on a leaf in the pond. This is a water-borne springtail, this collembola is I believe Sminthurides malmgreni. I have cropped it in for the last image too, though it didn't look so good compared to the uncropped version truth be told - but it gives you a some idea of the markings. Three tubes also used for the globular springtail:

1080smith.jpg

1080smith_copy.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2014
    Lovely series Paul. I've still not spotted any globbies yet.
    Re the opilione- I suspect you have different species- some seem to have much longer legs than others even though the main body seems the same size.

Brian v.
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2014
    Lovely series Paul. I've still not spotted any globbies yet.
    Re the opilione- I suspect you have different species- some seem to have much longer legs than others even though the main body seems the same size.

Brian v.

Thanks for the info Brian.

I just googled it and see there are 3,500 species of opiliones!

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk