Options

Not A Coral Reef But A Slime Mould

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited October 18, 2014 in Holy Macro
This slime mould colony, some 50mm across, was on a log of rotten wood at the bottom of my garden. It was rather three-dimensional, with undulations, so not everything is in focus.

Shot with my Kiron 105mm macro on my EM-1. Camera manual, TTL flash at 250 sec and probably f11, hand-held.

Harold

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    Interesting shot Harold
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2014
    Interesting shot Harold
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

In my limited experience, Myxomycetes, if extensive, tend to be an ill-defined (not macroscopically differentiated) fluffy/wooly growth, and usually on the underside the piece of wood, rather than on top. This was the only part which gave a frame-filler with an accessible DOF. Also, unlike fungi, such an active, as opposed to resting/resistant, phase can be very short-lived, often no more than a few hours.

On a technical note, reducing the number of pixels was far from enough to permit uploading. There is so much information in the image that I had to go down to 700 wide and reduce the dpi. The automatic resizing seems not to work for attachments, although I have had difficulties elsewhere with uploading a minority of my macro images, which were also rich in detail.

Harold
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 18, 2014
    Would be interesting to see this under high magnification :D
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2014
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see this under high magnification :D

I'm still trying to get to grips with the unfamiliar posting procedure. Maybe this is better?:

Harold

981322.jpg