World Apart

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited December 30, 2005 in People
Most od us celebrate the festive season now. And in 2 days we will welcome a New Year. Many of us live in "developed" world and our countries help the so called 3rd world countries. Yet, despite taxes, social funding, employment programmes and housing commissions we still have poor and homeless at home. WHY?

Old-Man-DSC09296.jpg
Sony DSC-F707 - film grain added 1 at a time ;-)

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    A lot is simply by choice ted. I talk to a fair few of them as i walk about a lot & some just outright prefer to live as they do, they are fine with it.They may well be of this mindset through mental illness but you can't force people into hospitalization or onto medications.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    I've been doing some legal stuff for homeless people in the past, and there's not a simple explanation or solution. As Gus said, some say they like their freedom. If that's the real truth I don't know, it also might be a way to justify your life style. Some have a tendency (caused by other problems, mental or addiction related) to mess things up in life, no matter how much help they receive. The ones that bother me most, are kids who have psychiatric problems, but fall between wall and ship, and end up in the street where there prolems only get worse. We should try to prevent them from having to turn to the street. It can't get through my head that our national budget for projects for kids like these gets cut time after time, while we are a so called developed country. As I said, I'm afraid there's no simple solution, but thank you for bringing this under the attention. It's a good thing that people stand still and bless their own fortune, and I hope some remember in these holiday times that a society does not exist of a bunch of individuals.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • MotoKatMotoKat Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Ted, that's a great photo.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    I think I must see more recentrly despite my eye sight going down. There was a time not that long ago I would not see a single homeless person. Now I see them everywhere.

If as some of you say this is by choice or a result of mental illness than I guess there is little that can be done. However, it still hurts to see them like that.