A Failed Attempt

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 1, 2006 in Holy Macro
Back when I first signed up for smugmug I was browsing new galleries, and found this great gallery from a woman who had taken these great pictures of water falling in front of colored paper. They were awesome.

So yesterday I attempted to take the same shot. Set up in the kitchen. Man, it was hard. First, I'm not sure what lighting she was using, but the only strobe I have is my 420EX and the Lightsphere II.

This version really stinks, but here it is, a challenge for all who are interested...and if anyone can find that original gallery....(Andy???).

50174921-L.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Were hers sharp, or did she use a ND filter to smooth out the water a bit? Think she lit the background as well as the water, give it depth? ne_nau.gif Have you played with different distances between water and background?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Were hers sharp, or did she use a ND filter to smooth out the water a bit? Think she lit the background as well as the water, give it depth? ne_nau.gif Have you played with different distances between water and background?

Just starting to play with it. Hers was sharp and well exposed. Beautiful, the way the two colors played within the water. There are a lot of options to play with it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just starting to play with it. Hers was sharp and well exposed. Beautiful, the way the two colors played within the water. There are a lot of options to play with it.

Try hitting the water with the flash from the sides or top, and maybe even make a snoot for the flash with a rolled up peice of black construction paper.

Light the background with one of the "Reveal" bulbs that you can get from your local hardware store. They're balanced at this weird colour temperature with a really high CRI (Colour rendering index) so they make colours really POP!

Just my $0.02.

I'm going to try this thing when I get back to Toronto to my studio...
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Hi David,
    I haven't seen the original site, but here is something to try.
    Use a black or very dark background behind the water. Put the two colored backgrounds towards the side so they don't show in the frame. Use your flash to bounce the light from the colored backgrounds to illuminate the water. Using a lower power on your flash will create a shorter duration flash (faster stop action).
    The colored backgrounds are dominating the shot which I assume you don't want.

Good luck and just a suggestion,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

edited December 30, 2005
    Hi David,
    I haven't seen the original site, but here is something to try.
    Use a black or very dark background behind the water. Put the two colored backgrounds towards the side so they don't show in the frame. Use your flash to bounce the light from the colored backgrounds to illuminate the water. Using a lower power on your flash will create a shorter duration flash (faster stop action).
    The colored backgrounds are dominating the shot which I assume you don't want.

Good luck and just a suggestion,
    Chris

That would be nice, too. It's not what she did. The two colors were split by the water, and were all mixed up in it. This was a test...the paper was low quality construction paper...the kitchen wasn't the best place to set up...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    I found this david...it may not be exactly specific however they have some good info for the mug punter. I am def going to give it a try.
    edited December 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I found this david...it may not be exactly specific however they have some good info for the mug punter. I am def going to give it a try.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. One part that I found difficult was to get a stream of water as wide as I wanted it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 30, 2005
    I'm all for playing with fluids ear.gif

David, do you have an off-shoe cable for your flash? I think that will make the difference. Or, ditch the speedlite altogether and use a fixed bright light. I've got a handheld spotlight I use for things like this.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited December 30, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm all for playing with fluids ear.gif

David, do you have an off-shoe cable for your flash? I think that will make the difference. Or, ditch the speedlite altogether and use a fixed bright light. I've got a handheld spotlight I use for things like this.

Mebbe with a fast enough shutter...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Mebbe with a fast enough shutter...
    Ah, so there you'd be surprised. What do you think it takes to freeze water?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

I don't know, but you're about to tell us... Right? mwink.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited December 30, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

You know, here in Southern California....I'd have to say....uhmm...snow making machines? OH, OH, OH, I know! The ice maker?....
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 1, 2006
    I finally found the gallery I was talking about. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I finally found the gallery I was talking about. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Here.
    Looks like macro work, no?

Plus flash on the water and separate lighting on the backgrounds?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au