Options

Lower Falls Of The Yellowstone

wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited November 6, 2014 in Landscapes
I took this the other day from Artist's Point overlooking the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The pathway and steps were snowy and icy. Unless I go in by snow coach this is the last one this year as most of the Park closes tomorrow for the winter season. :cry :D

Lower%20Falls-7800-X2.jpg
Steve

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    Lovely view Steve! How far is Yellowstone from you? Seems like your backyard!:D
    Softer light would take it to another level. I guess scene calls for centering the falls. Maybe if sky is taken out, it becomes a nice abstract?... or at least chopping/accidental sensation is gone...
    Also potential b&w candidate.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 2, 2014
    Awesome view, Steve. I've shot the lower falls before, but I don't think it was from this vantage point. This isn't the same road that goes up to the viewpoint for the upper falls, is it? I'll kick myself if I was there and didn't catch this comp.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    Well done, Steve. I shot those falls from the very same location in June....totally different look.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    this looks mighty powerful. I think I would crop the sky too. what a scene!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    Thank you all for the comments. I did consider cropping the sky and moving the falls out of the center. In the end I thought it had more impact this way. I usually shoot this vertically but I wanted to try for a 16:9 format for computer wallpaper. I'll try your suggestions and see how it turns out. nod.gif

I live reasonably close to Yellowstone. In good weather I can get to the North Entrance in less than 3 hours. I try to get there a couple of times a month except during the summer madness. :D

Here's a crop eliminating the sky and moving the falls a little out of the center.
    Lower%20Falls%20Crop-7800.jpg
    Steve
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Thank you all for the comments. I did consider cropping the sky and moving the falls out of the center. In the end I thought it had more impact this way. I usually shoot this vertically but I wanted to try for a 16:9 format for computer wallpaper. I'll try your suggestions and see how it turns out. nod.gif

I live reasonably close to Yellowstone. In good weather I can get to the North Entrance in less than 3 hours. I try to get there a couple of times a month except during the summer madness. :D

Here's a crop eliminating the sky and moving the falls a little out of the center.

Looks great to me!:D
    3 Hours to Yellow Stone! How cool!
    What about Montana Glacier Park? Isn't that one of the most amazing places on Earth?
    On my wish list for sure...
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2014
    Dankie Boco.

Glacier NP is on my list too. I've only flown over it. Next summer I hope. :D
    Steve
  • Options
    merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    Much better cropped -- far more dramatic. Excellent photograph!
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    Great capture of the falls. I like the cropped version, I think the uncropped version would work if there was a bit more sky with those fluffy white clouds.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2014
    Beautiful image either way. It's great having the Tetons and Yellowstone in your "backyard".