Options

Criteria to Select Wedding Photographer

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited November 24, 2014 in Weddings
My nephew, Jon Misch who is on the current TV show Survivor, is getting married next July to his girlfriend Jaclyn Schultz who is also on Survivor.

Anyway, I would like to give them a set of criteria for selecting a very good to excellent wedding photographer.

Here are some of my thoughts. Please add, criticize or delete to this list.

1. Experience - number of weddings as 1st shooter. Minimum say 24?
2. 2nd shooter - does the photog use a second shooter?
3. Equipment - if person shoots by themselves - then minimum of two cameras - as backup and use of different lenses to capture important shots.
4. Equipment - relatively new equipment that has two cards slots at and relatively high ISO resolution.
5. References from three satisfied customers.
6. Online samples of recent weddings.
7. Turn around time - say 90 days for proofs and prints one month later - (just guessing here)
8. Use of artificial lighting for post ceremony indoor and outdoor group and bride and groom shots - what to ask for here?

What else?

You comments are truly appreciated.

Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited November 1, 2014
    I think you need to look at their portfolio first and foremost. Maybe ask whether they've shot at your venue and if so, could you see those. Not sure the qty of weddings matters as much as the quality-you can have someone who's done a 100 weddings and still doesn't match what you're looking for. I'd ask questions about process-maybe not directly but when I'm through interviewing, I would like to know that the person is organized, can get the shots you want and deliver them in a timely fashion.

You can ask the venue for recommendations too. Chances are, their wedding coordinator will have recommendations.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    Portfolio trumps any criteria like equipment, lighting used etc. It is how they use the equipment that is important and that is going to come down to the style the future bride likes. If the bride is picky, she is going to have her own list. If she isn't then this list will confuse her.

On a side note, unless they ask I would stay out of making any recommendations, and don't critique the photos once they get them.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Portfolio trumps any criteria like equipment, lighting used etc. It is how they use the equipment that is important and that is going to come down to the style the future bride likes. If the bride is picky, she is going to have her own list. If she isn't then this list will confuse her.

On a side note, unless they ask I would stay out of making any recommendations, and don't critique the photos once they get them.
    ian408 wrote: »
    I think you need to look at their portfolio first and foremost. Maybe ask whether they've shot at your venue and if so, could you see those. Not sure the qty of weddings matters as much as the quality-you can have someone who's done a 100 weddings and still doesn't match what you're looking for. I'd ask questions about process-maybe not directly but when I'm through interviewing, I would like to know that the person is organized, can get the shots you want and deliver them in a timely fashion.

You can ask the venue for recommendations too. Chances are, their wedding coordinator will have recommendations.

Thank you both for your responses. I agree that final product is what is important. I included a few on equipment because some provide a strong indication of the quality and assurance of getting the final product, e.g. camera bodies with two memory cards.

I tend to more on the technical side when selecting vendors because of my work in IT. Part of the selection process was technical and part was prior work review.

Thanks, Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    Thank you both for your responses. I agree that final product is what is important. I included a few on equipment because some provide a strong indication of the quality and assurance of getting the final product, e.g. camera bodies with two memory cards.

I tend to more on the technical side when selecting vendors because of working years in IT.

Thanks, Phil

If I have a 1Dx with two card slots, a 5DMkIII, 70-200 f/2.8, and a couple of 580EXII flashes. Does that mean I'm a solid photographer? Not really. It just means I have a bunch of gear.

To the IT analogy. It's like paying the premium of the fastest CPU with the best graphics when your jobs are batch and IO dependent.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    I'd say look at the portfolio and see if the technicals are there - as long as the results are consistent, you have your answer :)

I'm beginning to think that picking a wedding photographers is about the "3 P's": portfolio, personality, and preparedness.

1. Portfolio: are you satisfed with the images? (nb a quick look will demonstrate things how they light their images - no need to ask it outright),
    2. Personality: Does the photographer's general manner and philosophy about weddings fit the bride's? (timetabled vs easy-going "fly on the wall", assistants vs not, "best friend" or "get the job done" vibe)
    3. Preparedness: Is there is mention somewhere along the line about being ready for problems (does that make it 4 p's?! lol) - so backup gear, backup cards, contracts which include people-management clauses, timetable concerns to ensure good light etc etc). A lot of these are questions that can be asked in passing rather than bullet-pointed - 5 minutes conversation with any potential photographer will probably make it clear if these kinds of things have been considered, and you can be pretty certain that if the portfolio is strong, they're a matter of routine for that photographer.

By all means ask about gear if it's of interest, but it doesn't really matter as long as the resulting images are strong. Some of my best work (still in my portfolio) was done on an XSi with a plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8.

Have fun!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    Yeah, the problem with asking any questions about gear, number of weddings shot, and other stuff like that is that it is a huge red flag that an "annoying client" is near. I love to "talk shop" with a groom who is into photography, or even with a parent / relative that tags along because they know a lot about wedding photography, but for some reason when the couple just pulls out a list like this and stars asking me those questions, I am moderately disinclined to take the job. Just being honest.

Not that I like my clients to be idiots who don't care or don't know any better, but like others have commented, I like my clients to have faith in me.

So, here's how I would approach it: Start off with the other questions, about how long they've been a photographer, that's a very good opener. You can follow that up with how many weddings they've shot total as the "lead", and then move into checking out some individual weddings.

However, you don't want to demand to see "entire weddings", as some brides seem to think is necessary. All photographers, mainly for the privacy of their clients and whatever requests they had on their wedding day, are NOT interested in showing you all 1,000 images they delivered to a recent client. However I'd say that a nice slideshow of 100-200 images, (so, more than a 20-30 image blog post) would be a fair middle ground.

At this point, without even bringing up camera gear or dual card slots or whatever, you should be able to get a pretty good feel for both artistic talent AND technical competency. At the very most, I would phrase such final queries to something like "and I assume of course you use professional cameras, have backup stuff, and use lighting equipment when necessary for portraits and the reception..."

...Or, you could just post links to "potentials" here and we could tell you in 0.5 seconds flat if they're good enough lol. :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    I'd say look at the portfolio and see if the technicals are there - as long as the results are consistent, you have your answer :)

I'm beginning to think that picking a wedding photographers is about the "3 P's": portfolio, personality, and preparedness.

1. Portfolio: are you satisfed with the images? (nb a quick look will demonstrate things how they light their images - no need to ask it outright),
    2. Personality: Does the photographer's general manner and philosophy about weddings fit the bride's? (timetabled vs easy-going "fly on the wall", assistants vs not, "best friend" or "get the job done" vibe)
    3. Preparedness: Is there is mention somewhere along the line about being ready for problems (does that make it 4 p's?! lol) - so backup gear, backup cards, contracts which include people-management clauses, timetable concerns to ensure good light etc etc). A lot of these are questions that can be asked in passing rather than bullet-pointed - 5 minutes conversation with any potential photographer will probably make it clear if these kinds of things have been considered, and you can be pretty certain that if the portfolio is strong, they're a matter of routine for that photographer.

By all means ask about gear if it's of interest, but it doesn't really matter as long as the resulting images are strong. Some of my best work (still in my portfolio) was done on an XSi with a plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8.

Have fun!

Wow, can I steal that "3 P's" thing for an SLR Lounge article? That's awesome! (And Pye looooooves acronyms, for some reason!!!)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014

So, here's how I would approach it: Start off with the other questions, about how long they've been a photographer, that's a very good opener. You can follow that up with how many weddings they've shot total as the "lead", and then move into checking out some individual weddings.
    =Matt=

Thank you both for your comments and experience. The 3 Ps struck a note with me. My two careers - banking and IT mgt. and research, heavily relied upon acronyms.

Part of my desire to ask some questions about gear is the problems we often hear about - corrupted cards, etc.. And the cost of good equipment is indication of their commitment to the profession.

Again, thank you.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    Thank you both for your comments and experience. The 3 Ps struck a note with me. My two careers - banking and IT mgt. and research, heavily relied upon acronyms.

Part of my desire to ask some questions about gear is the problems we often hear about - corrupted cards, etc.. And the cost of good equipment is indication of their commitment to the profession.

Again, thank you.

Phil

You hear about problems with corrupt cards but the reality is it happens in a very small percentage of cases. You can also have a car wreck on the way home that destroys the camera, or get the camera stolen etc.

I don't put much weight into cost of equipment as an indication of their commitment. I have seen guys buy expensive gear and don't know how to use it. The portfolio will tell their commitment.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    Wow, can I steal that "3 P's" thing for an SLR Lounge article? That's awesome! (And Pye looooooves acronyms, for some reason!!!)

=Matt=

Can I have credit and a linkback to my website? :D:D:D:D (Yes, I do have a real name - you can pm me, or just link through to my pages in my signature rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    Can I have credit and a linkback to my website? :D:D:D:D (Yes, I do have a real name - you can pm me, or just link through to my pages in my signature rolleyes1.gif)

Yes, absolutely!

Regarding the concerns about equipment, I have to agree with the general consensus here. Not only does it tend to annoy / scare the photographer, but it is simply not a good opening question as far as determining factors are concerned. Even the best pros with years of experience and lots of equipment can be careless slackers, it's just a matter of personal habits and that's a risk you can indeed minimize, but it'll always be there.

Good luck!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    Awesome - pm'ing you.. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    It's been a great discussion so far. I've learned a lot!
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014

I don't put much weight into cost of equipment as an indication of their commitment. I have seen guys buy expensive gear and don't know how to use it.

See this all the time ... including here.
    Dunno about weddings, but in my areas of interest, I've seen superb results -especially macro - done with very basic equipment indeed.

The portfolio will tell their commitment.

... The fun bit from my pov as older daughter is signing her life away next yr and, like an idiot has asked me to take the snaps :)
    Looks like I'll have to push her into the river and ask her to splash about in order to get any reasonable shots ...

pp

edit
    Just hope the water's going to be warm enough for the first post signing snog ... along these lines ...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=227094&highlight=cheap+crown
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    Any real deal wedding professional is going to have most of that list covered. I agree that portfolio is important, but at a certain level, it will always be a personality job. Social photography, is a personality job, and there are all kinds, but a mismatch can be hard to overcome if the professional isn't very experienced. So I'd say first, professional (encompassing most of your equipment/personnel related points) experienced, Portfolio, then personality when shopping a high level.
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    I am from the UK my daughter married in Atlanta many years ago. We looked at a few photographers but in the end we chose the one that she felt comfortable with and that was done within 10 minutes of meeting him. Results just great

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    Agree with the consensus, and emphasize compatibility with the photographer. 70% compatibility, and 30% portfolio.
  • Options
    kanwalsinghkanwalsingh New member Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2014
    Blurmore wrote: »
    Any real deal wedding professional is going to have most of that list covered. I agree that portfolio is important, but at a certain level, it will always be a personality job. Social photography, is a personality job, and there are all kinds, but a mismatch can be hard to overcome if the professional isn't very experienced. So I'd say first, professional (encompassing most of your equipment/personnel related points) experienced, Portfolio, then personality when shopping a high level.

I agree, most people choose for photographers they can trust and are comfortable to work with. Customers hear a lot of these positive comments and good reviews from Social Media sites.
    I believe that all wedding photographers have the experiences and skills. What matters most in order to win customers is social marketability through good personality and reputation.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2014
    Just chiming in to agree with the personality/compatibility comments.

One of my favorite comments to get from folks at a wedding is "OMG you're so much more fun than the wedding photographer my husband and I hired!" or "You're such a great photographer!" (before they ever see a picture, which I'll never understand. I'm pretty sure this is a work ethic thing).

That first comment is one I hate hearing at the same time. It's a reminder to me that technically awesome photos are a GIVEN. Your client doesn't really care about how great your picture is because 98% of them can't tell your work from another photographer's work. WE see the technical issues because we are all technical.

So scratch the technical part of the photos and what are you left with? You and some couple you just met.

Comfort level. PARAMOUNT to building that faith that MS mentioned above.

Style. A LOT of clients (I've noticed) judge me on what I'm wearing, right off the bat. You know what is looks like to get eyed up. They are making a decision about you immediately. I've had to apologize to so many brides this year about my one year beard project.

Compatability. How do your personalities mesh? Remember, they expect a great photographer but also want a nice person they'd be happy to call a friend, too. Not only are they looking for this in a photographer but I find myself looking for this in couples. If I get a funny vibe from a couple, I'll turn down their business. YES, I want business but NO I don't want to be stuck dealing with a couple that I can't understand. It's like dating. You're more compatible with some folks over others. There's a reason. Find that reason and find your couple.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2014

I won't even bother reading further in this thread. This guys knows.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2014
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Just chiming in to agree with the personality/compatibility comments.

One of my favorite comments to get from folks at a wedding is "OMG you're so much more fun than the wedding photographer my husband and I hired!" or "You're such a great photographer!" (before they ever see a picture, which I'll never understand. I'm pretty sure this is a work ethic thing).

That first comment is one I hate hearing at the same time. It's a reminder to me that technically awesome photos are a GIVEN. Your client doesn't really care about how great your picture is because 98% of them can't tell your work from another photographer's work. WE see the technical issues because we are all technical.

So scratch the technical part of the photos and what are you left with? You and some couple you just met.

Comfort level. PARAMOUNT to building that faith that MS mentioned above.

Style. A LOT of clients (I've noticed) judge me on what I'm wearing, right off the bat. You know what is looks like to get eyed up. They are making a decision about you immediately. I've had to apologize to so many brides this year about my one year beard project.

Compatability. How do your personalities mesh? Remember, they expect a great photographer but also want a nice person they'd be happy to call a friend, too. Not only are they looking for this in a photographer but I find myself looking for this in couples. If I get a funny vibe from a couple, I'll turn down their business. YES, I want business but NO I don't want to be stuck dealing with a couple that I can't understand. It's like dating. You're more compatible with some folks over others. There's a reason. Find that reason and find your couple.
    This is very important, however it REALLY needs good solid quality work to back it up. Every time this discussion comes up, one of my good friends tells the story about how when they got married, they hired a photographer with a killer portfolio, the person was a total blast to be around, they made photography fun and they enjoyed the day, ...but the pictures came back completely under-whelming. Not bad enough to complain loudly and get a refund, but just completely lacking in impressiveness.

So, this is why I always recommend brides to look at a wedding photographer's blog to see if they can find TONS of previous weddings, and to see if they are consistently as awesome and incredible as their ~40 image "best-of" portfolio makes them out to be.

The wedding photographer I hired for MY wedding, was slightly shy and soft-spoken and awkward, (like ME, so I didn't mind!) ...but I knew we were in good hands because I had been following his blog for years and every single wedding he ever shot turned out plenty of gorgeous photos.

Just some final food for thought.

=Matt=