How to create a mosaic image?

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited December 31, 2005 in Finishing School
Hi,

I was wondering how I could create a mosaic image from my photos? I seen some software on the Internet but looks like most of these applications use preset images. Is there a possible script I can use in Photoshop?

I would like to have about 1,000 images used from my collection to make one large mosaic image, like a collection from 2005.

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Hi,

I was wondering how I could create a mosaic image from my photos? I seen some software on the Internet but looks like most of these applications use preset images. Is there a possible script I can use in Photoshop?

I would like to have about 1,000 images used from my collection to make one large mosaic image, like a collection from 2005.

Thanks,
    Rob

Just to be clear...unless you merge a lot of layers...any PS script that creates that mosaic will create 1,000 layers. Think about it.

Have you checked out the Life Poster thread?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    there is a product called Easy Mosaic that I heard about but I don't believe it's a plug-in or script. Stand alone. Supposed to allow use of your own images. I have not tried it and do not know quality of output etc.

Googled and found their site:

http://www.ezmosaic.com/
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Don FosterDon Foster Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2005
    This one is available for a donation

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

I played with it awile ago and had fun with it. May revisit it soon.

Hi,

Thanks,
    Rob
    edited December 30, 2005
    Here's a Macintosh version, freeware: MacOSaiX.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2005
    Those are so cool! And what great presents, or whatever, for say the people, my family, that I spent Christmas with.

I know how I could do it, like I do my posters with like 9 images. For that I use a grid. And the transform tool in YES, CS2, to resize. I could just use the grid to get the sizes I wanted, etc.

So cool!

Thanks for the idea.

There is one example, now I could not do that, but I could do just the squares, and I could even make photos different sizes.

The basics for that is in the Scott Kelby CS2 book, you could adapt the 9 photo poster, IMO.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited December 31, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Here's a Macintosh version, freeware: MacOSaiX.

I downloaded this app, and ran it on a picture of my daughter. First I selected over 3k images in Bridge and ran the Image Processor to downsize them to 400x267 and JPEG 5. And then I let the app do its magic.

What do you think? I don't think I'll be doing a whole lot of them...Oh, BTW, I also could have chosen hexagonal tiles instead of rectangular...you have to squint to see it...

50366218-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 31, 2005
    As if that weren't enough, here's another:

50367440-L.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus